Leather is an expensive material which we all desire to own. But at the same time it is a material which is difficult to maintain and clean. Water tends to damage leather and this is why it is not advisable to clean it or wipe it down using water. Due to constant usage, leather tends to get dirty and may need cleaning once in a while. But thankfully there are many other ingredients that can be used to clean stains, marks, grease etc from leather. The following are some ways to get a stain out of leather without water.
1. Get all the supplies together
- The first thing that you need to do is to get all your supplies together.
- For this you will need, gentle hand soap, olive oil and some soft clean rags.
- Now take the leather item and get ready to clean. For example, the item could be a leather sofa, jacket, bag or boots etc.
2. Get the soap on the rag
- Now take one of the clean rags and apply a little bit of soap on a little part of it, depending upon the area that you wish to clean.
- Now rub the corner of the rag with soap on it onto the leather item.
- But make sure you do not rub too hard but only gently to avoid damaging the leather.
- A slight lather will begin to appear as you do so.
3. Clean with a dampened cloth
- Now take a slightly dampened cloth and rub it over the area on which you rubbed the previous rag with soap on it.
- Do so until all the soap has been cleared off the stain or mark.
- Wipe off with a clean and dry rag.
- This will help wipe off the stain completely. This method usually works for pen marks, oil marks and others.
4. Conditioning the leather
- Once you have followed the steps to get a stain out of leather without water, the next thing you need to do is to condition the leather.
- For this you will need either a commercial leather conditioner or olive oil.
- Take a dry cloth and put a very small amount of olive oil on it. Rub this cloth gently on the leather. This will help give it a finished and shiny look.
- You can also make your own leather conditioner by mixing one part vinegar and two parts linseed oil.
- Apply this to the leather and let it sit for 15 minutes. Buff using a soft cloth to give your leather a good shine.
5. Other stain cleaning tips
- To remove ink marks from leather, you can make use of nail polish remover whereas for scuffs, you can use a toothbrush and then buff off with a soft cloth.
- Mix equal parts of lemon juice and cream of tartar and make a paste to clean all other kinds of leather stains.
If you are unable to clean your leather on your own, you can always opt for commercial cleaning services by contacting Mr Right.