Chikungunya is one of the most common diseases which is caused during and even after the rainy season in India. It is a viral disease which is transmitted through infected mosquitoes to humans. Some of the consequences or signs of this disease include high fever and serious joint pain. Others include nausea, muscle pain, rashes, headaches and fatigue. There is no particular cure for this disease; however the treatment involves relieving of the symptoms. Diet plays an important role in bringing down the symptoms of this disease. There are many effective home remedies which too work well. This article focuses on the top recommended diet and home remedies for the treatment of Chikungunya. Read on to find out:
1. Have plenty of fluids
The top recommended diet and home remedies for the treatment of chikungunya includes having plenty of fluids. These fluids can be in the form of water, soups, broths etc. These fluids help you to get rid of the toxins from the body and thus the infection. You can also have homemade daal or yellow daal as it is very effective for the treatment of chikungunya. When it comes to soups, it is better to stick to carrot or tomato soup as these are rich in vitamin A.
2. Have foods rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin E
Vitamin A rich foods help the body in the manufacturing of infection fighting cells. This is why it is important to have foods that are high on this vitamin. These include yellow and orange colored fruits and vegetables etc. On the other hand, foods rich in Vitamin E are good for overall health and also aid in keeping infections away. Some foods that are loaded with this vitamin include nuts, fruits, wheat and tropical foods etc.
3. Foods rich in vitamin C
Foods rich in the content of Vitamin C help to boost immunity and must be included in the diet of those who are trying to recover from Chikungunya. Some of these include fruits like Kiwi, oranges, mangoes and vegetables like broccoli.
4. Foods that are good sources of Omega 3 fatty acids
One must also try and include those foods which are good sources of Omega 3 fatty acids in their diet during Chikungunya. These foods help in reducing the inflammation that is caused as a result of this disease. Some of these foods include almonds, walnuts, fatty fishes and flaxseeds.
5. Green leafy vegetables
It is a good idea to have as many green leafy vegetables when suffering from Chikungunya as possible. Not only are these vegetables low on calories but also packed with many vitamins and minerals which the body needs at this stage to get replenished. They are also easy to digest and most are rich in Vitamin A and C content. Leafy veggies which are rich in Vitamin C prevent the build up of free radicals whereas those rich in Vitamin A ensure bone growth.
6. Try these home remedies
- One of the best home remedies for finding relief from Chikungunya is using cold compresses. Cold compress helps to give a numbing effect to the nerve endings and slows the blood flow to that area. This further helps in reducing swelling and pain. You can make your own cold compress at home by adding a few slightly crushed ice cubes on a hand towel and then holding this compress to the painful areas for 3 to 5 minutes at a time. Repeat if necessary.
- Another home remedy that you can try is to massage the pain in which you experience joint pain. Massage helps to relax the muscles and also reduces stiffness and swelling. For massaging you can use an oil like olive oil or coconut oil etc.
- You can also make use of turmeric and ginger as both of these are anti inflammatory in nature and help to deal with the pain. You can add them to your diet for best results.
Foods to be avoided
Some of the foods that must be avoided when suffering from Chikungunya include deep fried foods, highly spicy foods etc. Moreover it is recommended that one must avoid smoking, consumption of alcohol and having highly caffeinated beverages as these can weaken the body’s defences.
Now that you know the top recommended diet and home remedies for the treatment of chikungunya, you too must follow these. Chikungunya can really make a person ill and also proves fatal if not detected or treated on time. The above given tips will help you fight it and get rid of it. To prevent it, it is important to keep your surroundings clean and avoid collection of water in and around you as mosquitoes breed in water. For home cleaning services, you can contact Mr Right and reduce chances of suffering from chikungunya, dengue etc.