Are you fed up with the extensive electric costs? Do you want to opt for an energy-efficient solution to cut down on your bills? Well, in this case, it is essential to go for low-voltage switchgear or efficient motion control products.
The good news is that such products are not hard to get. They are easily offered by reputed brands like Switchboard in a box. You can get these products at an affordable price.
Secondly, if you want to cut down on your energy maintenance costs, then you must be able to repair electric gadgets. For example, you should be able to repair something as simple as a switch.
It can be your starting point, then you can move on to more intricate repairs.
Repairing a switch
What you need to understand is that switches have a simple design. They either work or they do not work at all. There are times when a switch does not work safely. For example, you may get to see electric sparks from a switch.
Often the switches wear out with the passage of time depending upon the quality of the brand. Sometimes the wires also become loose. When you buy a switch, then go for the one that is labeled commercial. The reason is that it will last for a long time.
The approach to follow when repairing a switch
The essential aspect is that you should have all the equipment with you. For example, you must have a screwdriver, masking tape, pliers, multimeter, wire stripper, and screwdrivers. Let us look at the steps you need to follow for repairing a switch.
- First, you must ensure that you turn off the power to the circuit of the switch. However, you will need to identify the correct circuit breaker first and then turn it off.
- Next, make sure that you remove the cover plate. Make use of a tester to check if the power is off.
- Remove the top and the bottom screws so that you can get rid of the old switch.
- You will need to pull the switch towards you. The benefit of this practice is that you will be able to expose the wires present on the sides and rear.
- It is also crucial to remove the terminal screws on the switch. Make sure that you remove the wires also.
- Some switches have wires inserted into the holes. For this, you will need to insert a tiny screwdriver into the slot. The slot is usually located below the wire and you can release it.
- Test the switch using a continuity tester. Do not forget to clip each probe to each of the terminals. Now, start flipping the switch on or off.
- Now, that the testing phase is over, you can replace a basic switch. If any of the wires are damaged, you need to remove them.
- You can make use of a wire stripper to remove the insulation from the end of the wires.
- Make use of a plier for bending the wire end in a semicircle. As a result, the wire can bend around the terminal screw.
- If the terminal screw is not there, then you can insert the wires into the holes. Well, the holes are present at the back of the switch.
- It is crucial to attach the wires to the terminals and tighten them also.
- The switch needs to be screwed into the terminal box.
- Now replace the cover plate and restore the electric power also.