Chikungunya is a disease which you all must be familiar with due to the fact that it affects a large population of Indians every year. Apart from India, it is a growing health concern across the globe and is caused due to bite of an infected mosquito. It causes severe joint pains, high fever, nausea and several other side effects and may take a long time to completely recover from. It is important that we follow preventive measures and maintain good overall hygiene to avoid being infected by this disease. In order to prevent chikungunya fever and its dangerous effects, you must follow the tips that have been given below.
1. Know the cause and the mosquito
Aedes Aegypti mosquito is responsible for causing chikungunya in humans. This mosquito has unique white markings on its legs and other parts of the body and is hence easy to spot. It may get attracted to human blood due to certain chemical compounds which are emitted by the body and these include carbon dioxide, ammonia and lactic acid etc. The mosquito is more active during the early and late hours of the day. It breeds in stagnant water and has a lifespan of about one month.
2. Control mosquito populations
The best way to prevent chikungunya fever is to control mosquito populations. For this, you can follow the given tips:
- Avoid getting water collected in any form near or inside your house or office, for example, water often gets collected in puddles on uneven roads, in tyres, gardens and pots etc.
- Empty all open containers of water such as vases, cans, bottles and drums etc from time to time to avoid mosquitoes breeding in them.
- One must make it a point to clean clogged roof gutters etc on a regular basis.
- Turn over boats like canoes and kayaks etc when not in use, dispose old tires, repair leaks on faucets etc.
- You can also control mosquito population by using chemical like Larvicides in standing water as these help to kill mosquito larva. Fogging and barrier sprays etc, which are used to prevent mosquitoes from entering the particular area and only killing the ones that are present there.
3. Keep your surroundings clean always
Female Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes are attracted to the scent of the bacteria which is found in stagnant water and thus you must keep your surroundings clean on all occasions. Remember that lakes, creeks, wells and rivers too can be breeding ground for these mosquitoes thus avoid littering them or venturing near them especially during rainy season. Try to urge your friends and family to join river cleaning programs together as a community to control mosquito populations. Do not let litter in garbage boxes etc sit for too long and have it removed atleast twice a day.
4. Use mosquito traps
You can also control mosquito population by making use of mosquito traps. Some of these include lethal ovitrap and light trap etc. In a light trap, a blue or violet colored UV light is used to attract the mosquito. Once the mosquitoes are inside it, they get electrocuted or get stuck to the sticky board.
5. Prevent mosquito bites
Another way to prevent chikungunya fever is to prevent mosquito bites. For this it is a good idea to:
- Wear long and protective clothing in order to cover maximum body parts from the mosquitoes.
- Wear materials which are thick enough to prevent the mosquitoes from biting.
- You can also try using fabric cleaners or detergents which contain mosquito repellents as these may help to stay away from mosquitoes.
- When sleeping make use of mosquito nets as they enable you to protect yourself from mosquitoes and hence prevent bites.
- Use mosquito repellent sprays and lotions whenever possible as they prove effective in providing protection against bites.
- There are many other ways that can help you prevent mosquito bites and some include killing mosquitoes using swatters, keep windows and doors closed to avoid mosquitoes from entering etc.
Now that you know how to prevent chikungunya fever, you can take all actions important for the same. Chikungunya can prove to be a dangerous disease if not controlled on time and it is best to take precautionary measures to prevent it altogether. Make sure you keep yourself and your surroundings clean always. For complete home cleaning, contact Mr Right services.