A microwave is one of the most useful appliances in a kitchen and in a home. However when even a small problem comes up with it, it may hamper our kitchen routine and makes things difficult for us in the kitchen. One of such issues is microwave turntable not turning. The turntable is that surface on which you place kitchen utensils to heat them up. It is important that it moves so that food can be heated uniformly. If your microwave turntable is not turning, then the following given causes and solutions may prove to be of help.
1. Problem with the turntable motor
PROBLEM: The first and most common reason for microwave turntable not turning is an issue with the motor of the turntable.
SOLUTION: To check this, you can use a multimeter for continuity. To do so, follow the given points:
- Open the microwave door and remove the glass tray and support ring.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the back side of the microwave.
- Disconnect the wire harness by squeezing the plug and then set the lower panel aside.
- Now Use a screwdriver to pop the terminals off the turntable motor wires.
- Connect the terminals of the motor with the terminals of the multimeter and check for continuity.
- If there is no continuity, then you may need to get the motor replaced. However if it does have continuity, then it may be due to some other reason.
Here are some other Rotating Motors you can find online:-
Here’s some other Multi-purpose Multimeters :-
2. Glass tray drive coupling problem
PROBLEM: Another common cause for microwave turntable not turning is glass tray drive coupling problem. The coupling could either be broken or stripped out. Most of the ovens and microwaves have a round glass turntable which is powered by a motor driven coupler as well as a roller guide. Most units have a three sided coupler which is easy to detach from the motor shaft.
SOLUTION: You need to gently pull out the coupling off the drive motor shaft in order to inspect the drive coupling for any kind of damage. If there is damage, then you may need to replace the coupling.
Here are some more Turntable Couplers available online:-
- GE WB06X10420 Turntable Coupler
- Turntable Coupler is for microwave oven use Home Kitchenware Replacement 5pcs 0.67 Inch Long
- 4X Microwave Oven Mica Plates Repairing Part Heat Resistance Turntable Coupler L(2.3CM) for Galanz
3. Glass tray support
PROBLEM: If the turntable of your microwave is not working then the glass tray support may either be broken or stripped out.
SOLUTION: To check this, pull out the drive motor shaft gently to inspect the tray support for any kind of damage. If it turns out to be damaged, you may need to replace it.
If you are looking for replacing your Glass Tray here are some more recommendations:-
- Microwave Glass Tray 12 Inch Whirlpool W10337247, W11367904
- Microwave Glass Plate / Microwave Glass Turntable Plate GE and Samsung -Compatible – 11 1/4″
- Microwave Glass Tray Panasonic 13.5” (NOT FRIGIDAIRE-Compatible) – Dishwasher Safe
- Microwave Glass Tray for Kenmore, LG and Sears- 12.75’’
4. Issue with the roller guide
PROBLEM: Issue with the roller guide could also be the reason for microwave turntable not turning. This part lies directly under the glass tray and helps this tray to stay on track while rotating. This part works with the coupler to rotate the turntable.
SOLUTION: In order to check this, take out the glass tray and inspect for cracks, damage or wear. In case it is worn out, you may need to replace it.
If you are looking for replacing it here are some more recommendations:-
- Supplying Demand R0130609 Microwave Support Ring Plastic 9 Inches Round
- Microwave Glass Turntable Plate Roller Support Wheel Ring, Outer Diamater 8.7″ / 221mm – 2Pcs
- Microwave Turntable Ring Microwave Oven Rotating Roller Support Ring/Tray Wheel Ring(Large, 2 Pieces)
5. Obstruction stopping the turntable motion
PROBLEM: Another possible reason why the microwave turntable is not turning could be obstruction in the path. Sometimes certain particles may get stuck under the turntable and this can cause an obstruction in its motion.
SOLUTION: For this, you may need to clean the turntable properly. Remove the glass tray as well as the circular turntable guide. Wash them both in soapy warm water so that anything that was causing the obstruction can be removed.
Now that you know the most common reasons for microwave turntable not turning, you can easily resolve the issue in accordance with the cause. Microwave turntable is an easy thing to replace or repair. You must clean and maintain it on a regular basis to get the best performance out of it. If your microwave turntable is not turning, you can contact a professional for repairs and replacement and this can be done by getting in touch with Mr Right.