If you own a microwave then you must realize that it is one of the most important kitchen appliances. It is an all-in-one kitchen product that can help you in many ways. But if it becomes faulty or stops working due to some reason then it can cause problems and may hinder with your activities. One of the most common problems that arise with microwaves is it shutting off after a few seconds. There could be many causes for this and the following are some of them along with the solutions if your microwave shuts off after a few seconds.
1. Problem with the microwave door switch
One of the most common causes of microwave shutting off after a few seconds could be problem with the microwave door switch. Check each of the door switches for burning or arcing. If you see no visible signs of this, then you can take a multimeter and test the switch for continuity. If you observe no continuity or there are signs of burning, then you may have to replace the door switch.
LONYE SZM-V16-FD-63 Microwave Oven Door Micro SwitchMicrowave Oven Door Switch replacement
Commonly found in microwave ovens, this switch will close the circuit once the button is depressed. This switch may be used in many other appliance
Here are some of the other recommended microwave door switches that you can replace yourself:
- LONYE W10727360 & W10269458 & W10269460 Microwave Switch Replacement for Whirlpool Microwave SZM-V16-FC-61 SZM-V16-FC-62 SZM-V16-FC-63
- KW3A Microwave Oven Door Switch 16A 125/250V Door Interloc(Normally Open & 3 Insert Foot)
- Microwave Door Switch SZM-V16-FA-63 by Podoy Compatible with LG GE Starion WB24X829 3B73362F PS3522738 SZM-V16-FD-63 AP2024337
2. Issue with the main control board
Another possible issue that may be making your microwave go off after few seconds could be an issue with the main control board. But before checking the control board, you must check all the other parts first and ensure that the wiring etc is done properly. If yes and even then the problem doesn’t get resolved then in that case you can check the main control board using a multimeter. Replace it if it doesn’t show any continuity.
General Electric WB27X11081 Microwave Control BoardElectric Circuit Board
Genuine microwave replacement control board with weight 6.4 ounces.
Some of the other Control Boards available online :-
- GE WB27X11158 Microwave Electronic Control Board
- Frigidaire 5304472840 Microwave Main Control Board
- Goodman PCBBF112S Control Board
3. Problem with the control panel or touchpad
If microwave shuts off after a few seconds then you can also check the control panel or the touchpad. For doing so, you may need to press each of the buttons. If there are only a few buttons that respond and the rest do not then the problem may be with the touchpad and it may need replacing.
GE WB56X10822 Genuine OEM Control Panel Assemblyfor GE Microwaves
GE Appliances WB56X10822 Microwave Control Panel Assembly houses the selection buttons and display for the microwave
Our other recommended replacements:
4. Issue with the transformer
If the transformer goes bad, then it can cause the problem of microwave shutting off after few seconds. Infact in this case, it may also be giving out a bad smell. But do not make the mistake of replacing the transformer yourself because it holds a lot of electricity even after it is unplugged. So hire an electrician to get it replaced or consider changing your microwave all together.
LG Electronics 6170W1D052Z LG LG-6170W1D052Z Transformergenuine OEM part manufactured to exact specifications
Replacement LG brand Microwave High Voltage Transformer sends power to the magnetron and capacitor for heating the contents of Microwave
Our other recommended replacements:
- 5304479021 Microwave High-Voltage Transformer Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Part
- Samsung DE26-00126B High Voltage Transformer
So now that you know the various causes of microwave shutting off after a few seconds, you can understand the issue and try to resolve it. If you are able to do it yourself, you may need few tools and replacement parts. However if you are considering hiring an electrician for microwave or general home appliances repair, you can contact Mr Right services for the best possible services.
If you want to Do It Yourself, we have some recommended tools and equipment for you:-
AstroAI MultimeterDigital Multimeter with DC AC Voltmeter and Ohm Volt Amp Tester
This Multimeter is designed to troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems safely and accurately
Some more Multi-purpose Multimeters :-A
Multi-purpose Tool Kit:-
DEKOPRO 168 Piece Hand Tool KitSocket Wrench Auto Repair Tool Combination Package
Contains tools needed for most small repairs and basic DIY projects around the house.Perfect for Handyman’s, repairmen, construction workers, mechanics, body shops etc. also a great tool set to have at home, garage and the workshop
- Dedeo Cordless Hammer Drill Tool Kit, 60Pcs Household Power Tools Drill Set with 16.8V Lithium Driver Claw Hammer Wrenches Pliers DIY Accessories Tool Kit
- BLACK+DECKER 12V MAX Drill & Home Tool Kit, 60-Piece (BDCDD12PK)
- WORKPRO 156-Piece Home Repair Tool Set – Daily Use Hand Tool Kit with Tool Bag
A-BFastiron Electronics Soldering Iron KitSoldering Kit with 5pcs Solder Tips
Equipped with a Ceramic Core Heating Element, up to 80W max, the soldering iron can heat up to operating temperatures within 20 seconds.
- Soldering Iron Station Solder Kit – 48W 110V Soldering Tool Set Temp Adjustable Electric Welding for SMD/PCD/DIY
- Soldering Station With Additional 5 Tips
Leave a reply →
The parts that are causing to possibly shut within a few seconds of trying to use the microwave are located in what areas?