If you own a microwave then you must realize that it is one of the most important kitchen appliances. It is an all-in-one kitchen product that can help you in many ways. But if it becomes faulty or stops working due to some reason then it can cause problems and may hinder with your activities. One of the most common problems that arise with microwaves is it shutting off after a few seconds. There could be many causes for this and the following are some of them along with the solutions if your microwave shuts off after a few seconds.
1. Problem with the microwave door switch
One of the most common causes of microwave shutting off after a few seconds could be problem with the microwave door switch. Check each of the door switches for burning or arcing. If you see no visible signs of this, then you can take a multimeter and test the switch for continuity. If you observe no continuity or there are signs of burning, then you may have to replace the door switch.
Here are some of the other recommended microwave door switches that you can replace yourself:
- LONYE W10727360 & W10269458 & W10269460 Microwave Switch Replacement for Whirlpool Microwave SZM-V16-FC-61 SZM-V16-FC-62 SZM-V16-FC-63
- KW3A Microwave Oven Door Switch 16A 125/250V Door Interloc(Normally Open & 3 Insert Foot)
- Microwave Door Switch SZM-V16-FA-63 by Podoy Compatible with LG GE Starion WB24X829 3B73362F PS3522738 SZM-V16-FD-63 AP2024337
2. Issue with the main control board
Another possible issue that may be making your microwave go off after few seconds could be an issue with the main control board. But before checking the control board, you must check all the other parts first and ensure that the wiring etc is done properly. If yes and even then the problem doesn’t get resolved then in that case you can check the main control board using a multimeter. Replace it if it doesn’t show any continuity.
Some of the other Control Boards available online :-
- GE WB27X11158 Microwave Electronic Control Board
- Frigidaire 5304472840 Microwave Main Control Board
- Goodman PCBBF112S Control Board
3. Problem with the control panel or touchpad
If microwave shuts off after a few seconds then you can also check the control panel or the touchpad. For doing so, you may need to press each of the buttons. If there are only a few buttons that respond and the rest do not then the problem may be with the touchpad and it may need replacing.
Our other recommended replacements:
4. Issue with the transformer
If the transformer goes bad, then it can cause the problem of microwave shutting off after few seconds. Infact in this case, it may also be giving out a bad smell. But do not make the mistake of replacing the transformer yourself because it holds a lot of electricity even after it is unplugged. So hire an electrician to get it replaced or consider changing your microwave all together.
Our other recommended replacements:
- 5304479021 Microwave High-Voltage Transformer Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Part
- Samsung DE26-00126B High Voltage Transformer
So now that you know the various causes of microwave shutting off after a few seconds, you can understand the issue and try to resolve it. If you are able to do it yourself, you may need few tools and replacement parts. However if you are considering hiring an electrician for microwave or general home appliances repair, you can contact Mr Right services for the best possible services.
If you want to Do It Yourself, we have some recommended tools and equipment for you:-
Some more Multi-purpose Multimeters :-A
Multi-purpose Tool Kit:-
- Dedeo Cordless Hammer Drill Tool Kit, 60Pcs Household Power Tools Drill Set with 16.8V Lithium Driver Claw Hammer Wrenches Pliers DIY Accessories Tool Kit
- BLACK+DECKER 12V MAX Drill & Home Tool Kit, 60-Piece (BDCDD12PK)
- WORKPRO 156-Piece Home Repair Tool Set – Daily Use Hand Tool Kit with Tool Bag