Microwave is a popularly used kitchen appliance these days. Like any other home appliance a microwave fails and breaks in its lifetime. Here are the common problems with microwave and their possible solutions:
Microwave does not heat
Microwave not heating is one of the most common problems with microwave. Most popular reason behind this issue is magnetron failure. A magnetron uses high voltage to produce microwave frequency to cook food. If the microwave is turned on when it is empty, this cause the magnetron to burn out. A burned magnetron has to be replaced as it cannot be repaired. Other probable causes behind this problem are faulty diodes, capacitor burn, defective door switch and transformer failure.
Refer to “No oven mitts! Is your microwave not heating food?”
GE Microwave Oven Magnetron and Diode KitOM75P Part WB27X10017
This is a brand new factory supplied part and is the SAME EXACT part sold by GE. Direct factory replacement for Samsung manufactured OM75S & OM75P(10) magnetrons. Common magnetron used in many GE, Frigidaire and other brand microwaves. This is the current replacement for magnetron tubes having a Samsung label
Some more commonly used Magnetrons available online:-
- LG Electronics 6324W1A001H Microwave Oven Magnetro
- BlueCatELE 2M246 Microwave Magnetron Tube
- Supplying Demand SD0259 Microwave Magnetron Compatible AP5183463 & Fits 0M75
- Generic Microwave Magnetron Tube WB27X10516 OM75P(31) Air Cooling Compatible for GE Samsung
Microwave runs and then stops
Possible causes behind this issue are faulty door switch, failed transformer, defective touch pad and faulty fan motor. To understand this problem in detail refer to “Why does my microwave runs for a few seconds and stops?”
LONYE SZM-V16-FD-63 Microwave Oven Door Micro SwitchReplacement for LG GE Starion Microwave 3405-001034
Commonly found in microwave ovens, this switch will close the circuit once the button is depressed. This switch may be used in many other appliances
Here are some of the recommended microwave door switches:
- LONYE W10727360 & W10269458 & W10269460 Microwave Switch Replacement for Whirlpool Microwave SZM-V16-FC-61 SZM-V16-FC-62 SZM-V16-FC-63
- KW3A Microwave Oven Door Switch 16A 125/250V Door Interloc(Normally Open & 3 Insert Foot)
- Microwave Door Switch SZM-V16-FA-63 by Podoy Compatible with LG GE Starion WB24X829 3B73362F PS3522738 SZM-V16-FD-63 AP2024337
Microwave buttons do not work
If the microwave buttons do not work it indicates that the touch-pad or the control panel are defective or have been damaged. Another possible reason can be defective main control board.
GE WB56X10822 Genuine OEM Control Panel AssemblyControl Panel Assembly is a genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer part designed and engineered to exact specifications
The Black Control Panel Assembly houses the selection buttons and display for the microwave.
Our other recommended replacements:
Microwave plate does not spin
In a microwave there is a rotating motor below the plate which is responsible for the rotation of spinning plate. So the most probable cause behind this issue is a worn out or burned motor. Motor can be easily replaced. However, if the motor is not defective this indicates a fault in the main control board. If the control board is fine then check touch pad or control panel for the problem.
Here are some Rotating Motors you can find online:-
- Samsung DE31-10172C Microwave Turntable Motor Genuine (OEM)
- Microwave Oven Synchronous Motor Replace for Panasonic
- Microwave Turntable Motor for GE
Microwave light-bulb does not turn on during operation
There is a small bulb inside your microwave located behind the grill, which lights when the microwave runs. If the bulb does not work then it may have fused. Another possible reasons are faulty bulb socket and bad wiring. If the bulb, socket and wiring are fine then check the main control board. The control board may have gone bad and fails to send voltage to bulb socket.
5304488360 Microwave Surface Light BulbGenuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Part
Light bulb 5304488360 illuminates the surface below the microwave or the interior of the microwave
Microwave Light Bulbs you can get online:-
- GE Spacemaker Profile Microwave Light Bulb
- Microwave Light Bulb for LG
- Microwave Light Bulb for Panasonic
- Microwave Light Bulb for Kenmore
- Microwave Light Bulb for Frigidaire
Sparking inside microwave
Sparking inside microwave is common and does not indicate that your microwave has gone bad. It requires you to immediately switch off your microwave and perform the necessary inspection. Possible reasons behind this problem are damaged wave guide cover, diode burn, damaged rack support or worn out paint from the inside walls.
Refer to “4 common reasons of sparking inside microwave”.
(Cover image source: www.thenutritionpost.com)
Knowing about the common problems with microwave will help you in fixing it on time and saving your appliance from any serious damage.
Some recommended DIY Tools and Equipment:-
AstroAI MultimeterDigital Multimeter with DC AC Voltmeter and Ohm Volt Amp Tester
This Multimeter is designed to troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems safely and accurately
Multi-purpose Multimeters :-
Multi-purpose Tool Kit:-
- DEKOPRO 168 Piece Hand Tool Kit with Plastic Toolbox Storage Case
- Dedeo Cordless Hammer Drill Tool Kit, 60Pcs Household Power Tools Drill Set with 16.8V Lithium Driver Claw Hammer Wrenches Pliers DIY Accessories Tool Kit
- BLACK+DECKER 12V MAX Drill & Home Tool Kit, 60-Piece (BDCDD12PK)
- WORKPRO 156-Piece Home Repair Tool Set – Daily Use Hand Tool Kit with Tool Bag
- A-BFastiron Electronics Soldering Iron Kit, Welding Tool for electronic repairs and DIY
- Soldering Iron Station Solder Kit – 48W 110V Soldering Tool Set Temp Adjustable Electric Welding for SMD/PCD/DIY
- Soldering Station With Additional 5 Tips
If you’re considering buying a new microwave, we would recommend you to consider these:
Leave a reply →
I want to know who the genius is who thought that making all the buttons on a microwave dark colored like the background was a good idea. Not all of us has a spotlight on our microwaves to see the buttons clearly. They should all be in white against the dark background.
Can we put Megatron on our own on Microwave?
Does a short circuit is also a reason for sparkling?
Thank you for this post. I can not get my microwave repaired.