What you least want on a hot summer day is an air conditioner that can’t cool. There can be several reasons behind AC not cooling problem, some of which are technical faults and some are non- technical.
Most common reasons behind AC not cooling are:
1. Clogged air filter
If the air conditioner does not cool, the air filter might be clogged. In such case, air cannot flow through properly which greatly reduces the cooling capacity of the air conditioner. Either clean the air filter or replace it as needed.
Here are some more Air Filters that acts as Air Purifiers as well available online:
- Nirvana Being Nanotech Split (Wall-Mounted) AC Filter
- 3M AC Filters for converting Split AC into air Purifier [Dust, Pollen & Allergens, 4 Sheets, 2 Change Indicators]
- 3M AC Filters for converting Split AC into air Purifier [Dust & Pollen, 4 Sheets, 2 Change Indicators]
- 3M Anti Pollution Filter for Converting AC into Air Purifier
2. Dirty coils
If the air conditioner is not cold enough the condenser coils may be dirty and loaded with debris. In an AC, the condenser is like a radiator that dissipates heat (which was removed from the air). The condenser coil must be clean to dissipate heat outside. As the coils get dirtier the air conditioner becomes less efficient, which makes it work harder to cool the room. If the coils are dirty enough, the unit will never be cold enough and will not be able to cool the room.
If you wish to clean DIY, we have some more recommendations for you:-
- Stainless Steel Fin Comb Brush for AC Blade Radiator Cooling Straightening Cleaning Tool
- Real Life Solution Plastic AC Fin Comb Set, Straightener, Cleaner, Condenser, Evaporator, Cleaning Tool (Blue)
- KetZeal Plastic Cleaning Tool Kit Wire Brushes with Brass, Nylon, Stainless Steel Bristles (Set of 3)
To avoid dirt and mess while cleaning your AC Coils please consider these other recommendations as well:-
- Real Life Solution Split AC Wash Bag, Service Cleaning Cover, Servicing Kit with Apron (Black)
- Split AC Wash Bag, Service Cleaning Cover
3. Insufficient coolant
The coolant circulates through the evaporator coils and cools the air flowing over it and eventually sends cool air into the room. So when the level of this coolant becomes insufficient, the AC fails to cool. At this stage call a PRO for coolant top up and refill.
4. Faulty compressor
A compressor is the heart of an air conditioning unit which is responsible for cooling your room. If the air conditioner does not cool, the compressor might be defective. The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant or coolant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. If the compressor goes bad the cooling cycle does not start and the AC fails to cool.
5. Faulty thermostat
A thermostat is a sensor that senses the room temperature and hints the compressor to start or stop the cooling cycle. If the thermostat is defective, the air conditioner does not cool or may cool continuously.
6. Defective parts
The other possible technical reasons behind AC not cooling can be a faulty run capacitor of the compressor, defective control board, bad thermistor, choked capillary, faulty motor etc.
Some of the commonly used Spare Parts you can get online:-
- Litost Li Capacitor for Air Conditioner AC 440Volt 50/60 Hz 50+6 MFD +-5% Heavy Duty (Match & Buy)
- Concap 50 + 2 MFD Dual Capacitor for Conditioner
- Concap 45 MFD Capacitor for Air Conditioner
Indoor Fan Motor
Outdoor Fan Motor
- Raptor Air Conditioner Motor 63 watt 1150 RPM Outdoor Unit RA
- Raptor Air Conditioner Motor 118 watt 930 RPM Window Unit RA 262
- Air Conditioner Motor 93 watt 1050 RPM Outdoor Unit RA 203
7. High atmospheric temperature
An AC has an optimum operating temperature (surrounding temperature) at which it can work most effectively. If the temperature shoots up beyond the optimum temperature limit, the efficiency of the air conditioner goes down. Sometime it is so hot outside that a stage is reached where the compressor stops working completely.
8. Undersized AC
A common mistake people make is that they buy an AC based on their budget and not based on the requirement of the room. A small AC in a huge room will always find hard to cool the room in peak summers. The size of the AC should be according to the size of the room.
9. Faulty AC Remote
There can also be a situation when the remote fails to send temperature change signals to AC unit. A simple replacement of remote will do the trick. Here, are a few Brand specific AC remotes and a universal remote that you can get on Amazon via reputed sellers:
- Remote Compatible for Voltas Smart Split Ac Remote Control with WiFi Function
- Remote Compatible for O General Split AC
- Remote Compatible for VOLTAS/Onida/GREE/ELECTROLUX/GODREJ AC
- Upix® AC Remote No. 68 with Backlight & Timer, Compatible with Hitachi AC
Recommendations for saving AC Electricity Consumption
If you enjoy the cool air from your AC but are sweated at the end of the month after seeing your electricity bills, then there is a robust system that can help you save a huge amount of money and power savings over a long period of time. Check out this AC Module that helps run all your heavy duty home appliances for more than 25 years.
Other than that, if your AC is not cooling, you can always book a case with Mr Right.
For more information on AC care and maintenance refer to Ideas by Mr Right