Here, are some of the common problems faced by people using split AC.
1.Refrigerant leakage in split AC
Leakages are one of the most common split AC problems. The refrigerant (AC gas, as commonly known) is main contributor to the cooling of the air. If the split AC is not cooling properly, most probably the refrigerant level is low. Since the refrigerant is stored at very high pressure, all the curves and joints in the copper pipe are under constant stress. Due to humidity and other corrosion-causing compounds in the atmosphere, these copper pipes may get weak and develop leakage holes. In many cases, this leakage gets developed in the flare nut located at the outer AC unit. Repairing for leakages problems is fairly simple. Just make sure that the repair technician doesn’t over-charge or under-charged refrigerant as it can damage the AC.
2. Compressor switching off too frequently
In this case, most likely the filter of the split AC is choked due to heavy accumulation of dust and debris. Due to this, the AC works even harder to intake air for circulation, thus increasing the temperature of the AC above ideal operating temperature. Resulting in cutting off of the compressor. So, just take out the filter and wash under tap water. Do this monthly and you shouldn’t have any issues.
3. Ice accumulation on cooling coil
When the level of refrigerant is less than the required amount, the temperature of cooling coil drops much below the normal. Due to this phenomena, the moisture in the room condenses on the coil and freezes. To rectify this issue of ice formation on AC, call an AC repair professional as he will be able to accurately determine if the refrigerant level is just right in the cooling coils. For more on ice formation inside split ac follow this link: Why has ice formed on my air conditioner?
4. Foul smell upon switching on the AC
Sometimes when you switch on the split AC, it emits unbearable odours. Don’t worry, the problem lies with the drainage system of the AC. Due to dust and debris inside the drain pipe and drainage tray, water gets accumulated and slowly starts smelling bad. Just get the repair technician to clear out the drainage system and the problem should be solved.
5. Split AC not starting
Well in this case, most likely the PCB of the AC unit is at fault. There’s no specific reasons to why the PCD has failed. It can be due to surges in current, too frequent ON-OFF cycles, physical damages etc. In cases where ICs or capacitors have burnt, only option here is to replace it. If the damage is more, the whole PCB has to be changed, which can be expensive depending upon the technology used in the split AC.
6. Indoor unit making too much noise
Sometimes the indoor unit of the split AC starts making too much noise while operating or just during start-up. The problem is actually small so don’t worry. The fan present inside the indoor unit is at fault here. With usage the fan gets disbalanced, the technician will just dismantle the indoor unit and arrange the fan into its original place. In some cases, the noise is due to accumulation of dust and dirt on the fan which causes vibration in the fan. Dismantling and cleaning the fan will do the trick here.
7. Swing mechanism not working
If the swing function on the split AC is not working, there can be 2 reasons for this. The swing is controlled by separate swings motors. Either the PCB is not sending current to the motors or motors have a problem.
AmazonBasics 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split ACSplit 1.5 Ton air conditioner with inverter compressor
variable tonnage technology for faster cooling and higher energy savings; Suitable for medium sized rooms
If you’re considering getting a new AC, do take a look at these amazing products available on Amazon.in:
- AmazonBasics 1.5 Ton 5 Star 2020 Inverter Split AC (Copper Condenser, Advanced Motor, White)
- Carrier 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper ESKO NEO HYBRIDJET INV R32CAI18EK5R39F0 White)
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Dual Inverter Split AC (Copper, KS-Q18HNZD , White, Hi Grooved Copper)
- Daikin 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter Split AC (Copper FTKR50TV White)
- Godrej 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper GIC 18HTC5-WTA White)
- Voltas 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper 185VSZS White)
If you’re a DIY person, we have some recommended tools and equipment for you:-
AmazonBasics Mechanic Socket Tool Kit Set With CaseSet of 201
201-piece socket set combines most popular sockets, wrenches, and hex keys for easy accessibility. Also includes the most common screwdriver bits. Scroll down the page for a full list of included pieces.
Best Tool Kits
- Bosch GSB 550 Mechanic Kit Professional
- iBELL IBL TD13-100, 650W Professional Tool Kit Pack of 115 with 6 Months Warranty
- STANLEY STMT82672-0-12 Chrome Compact Socket Set, 1/4″, Silver (37pcs)
- Grizzly 46 In 1 Pcs Tool Kit & Screwdriver and Socket Set
AstroAI MultimeterDigital Multimeter with DC AC Voltmeter and Ohm Volt Amp Tester
This Multimeter is designed to troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems safely and accurately
- Techtest Xl830l Pocket Digital Multimeter with Battery
- SCHOFIC Digital LCD Pocket Multi Meter/AC-DC Voltage/with Back Light (Yellow)
- R-tek 830L 3 Digit, 600 AC/DC Voltage Digital Multimeter with Back Support and Back Blue Light
- Unity Digital LCD Pocket Multi Meter/AC-DC Voltage/with Back Light (Yellow)
For further queries please feel free to comment in the section below.
Leave a reply →
My split ac not working properly, after half hours it’s cut the cooling and showing yellow light blinking, when i cutoff and on main switch it will start again through remote then half hour working good and after that repeat same problem
My AC (Panasonic ac 1tn).
Kindly suggest the problem and solution
My AC is not working properly
The problem is when we switch off the AC the the swing doesn’t close ,it will struck in middle
And if we switch off and on the stabilizer then the swing closes completely.
So, what should I do