To start off, we find it imperative to mention that if you maintain a good AC servicing schedule you’d be spending lesser on electricity and keeping your room cool without any problems. Make sure you get your window AC serviced once at the beginning of summers and once after the summers end. On that note, let’s have a look at the most common problems with window ACs.
1. Water dripping from the front of a window AC
Well, the problem lies with the angle on with the AC is mounted. A window AC should be mounted with a slight slope towards the rear end. This makes the condensed water to flow outside through the drain pipe. Water can drip from the front if the slope is towards inside. Thus, a reinstallation is needed to rectify this problem.
If you are looking towards Servicing your Window AC on your own, we have some recommendations for you:-
- Heebo Air Conditioning Cleaner & Purifier 450 ML: Pack of 2
- Stainless Steel Fin Comb Brush for AC Blade Radiator Cooling Straightening Cleaning Tool
- Real Life Solution Plastic AC Fin Comb Set, Straightener, Cleaner, Condenser, Evaporator, Cleaning Tool (Blue)
- KetZeal Plastic Cleaning Tool Kit Wire Brushes with Brass, Nylon, Stainless Steel Bristles (Set of 3)
For Better cleaning you can consider these Water Spray Guns available online:-
- Voroly 7 Mode High Pressure Spray Gun with 1/2″ 3/4″ Hose Connector
- GOCART WITH G LOGO Metal Trigger Brass Nozzle Water Spray Gun
- High Pressure Water Spray Gun
- LALA LIFE SGL Metal Copper Home High Pressure Water Spray Gun
- Glive Plastic 8 in 1 Turbo Water Spray Gun
- Sajani Water Spray Gun
2. Compressor cycles between ON and OFF too frequently
This indicates there’s a problem with the thermostat or the temperature sensor. Start by making sure the temperature sensor is positioned near to the evaporator coils. Then, make sure the AC filter is not clogged. If the problem still persists, the thermostat is at fault. Consult an AC repair professional to rectify the problem.
3. Ice formation on window AC
When the level of refrigerant is less than the required amount, the temperature of cooling coil drops much below the normal. Due to this phenomena, the moisture in the room condenses on the coil and freezes. To rectify this issue of ice formation on AC, call an AC repair professional as he will be able to accurately determine if the refrigerant level is right in your AC. For more on ice formation inside AC follow this link: Why has ice formed on my air conditioner?
4. Window AC not starting problem
Well in this case, most likely the PCB of the AC unit is at fault. There’s no specific reasons to why the PCB has failed. It can be due to surges in current, too frequent ON-OFF cycles, physical damages etc. In cases where ICs or capacitors have burned, they can simply be replaced and the repair is quite cheap. If the damage is more, the whole PCB has to be changed, which can be expensive depending upon the technology used in the window AC.
5. Window AC with low cooling performance
Lack of coolant (Freon) is a very common reason behind AC not cooling problem. The coolant circulates through the evaporator coils and cools the air flowing over it and eventually sends cool air into the room. So when the level of this coolant becomes insufficient, the AC fails to cool. In many cases, the coolant leaks from the unit and AC stops cooling. An AC repair professional will be able to accurately determine if the refrigerant level is just right in the cooling coils. A clogged AC filter also lowers the cooling performance. Make sure to clean the filters once every month.
6. Compressor switching off too early without cooling
This problem arises due to increase in temperatures above normal and thus to protect the compressor, the temperature sensor cuts off power supply to it. There can be 2 reasons for the high temperature. One is an unstable power supply to the AC. Second is there’s no space outside for proper air flow. There should be at least 3-5 feet of distance between the AC and any obstruction.
If you’re considering getting a new AC, do take a look at these amazing products available on Amazon.in:
- AmazonBasics 1.5 Ton 5 Star 2020 Inverter Split AC (Copper Condenser, Advanced Motor, White)
- Carrier 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper ESKO NEO HYBRIDJET INV R32CAI18EK5R39F0 White)
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Dual Inverter Split AC (Copper, KS-Q18HNZD , White, Hi Grooved Copper)
- Daikin 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter Split AC (Copper FTKR50TV White)
- Godrej 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper GIC 18HTC5-WTA White)
- Voltas 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper 185VSZS White)
For any other queries regarding problems with window AC, please feel free to comment in the section below.