Window AC installation process starts with removing glass or mesh from the window. A window AC unit is heavy and requires at least 2 people for installation. Now, let’s look at the steps to install a window air conditioner.
A window AC unit has following parts:
- Outer case or frame
- Inner unit
- Front screen
- Remote control
Window AC installation requires following tools:
- Drilling machine
- Support brackets
- Guide panels (Optional)
- Basic tool box
Window AC installation steps
Remove glass or mesh from window
Window AC installation process starts with removing glass or mesh from the window. (Image source: www.lowes.com)
Fix the outer case
In window AC installation, first the outer case is securely fixed in the window frame with the help of screws. (Image source: www.lg.com)
Fix the inner unit
Then firmly fix the inner unit of window AC inside the outer case with the help of screws and screw driver. (Image source: www.sears.com)
Fix front screen and air filter
Gently fix the front screen or the cover on the inner unit. Finally, insert the air filter of window AC in place and close the front cover. (Image source: www.searspartsdirect.com)
Start and check AC unit
After fixing the inner unit of window AC in the outer case, switch ON the AC unit to check if it starts properly. (Image source: www.consumerreports.org)
Important guidelines for window AC installation
- A window air conditioner should be installed in such a way that the rear end is slightly lower than the front end. A difference of 1 inch is fine. If the unit is too low at front than the condensed water leaks from the front rather than dripping from the rear end of the air conditioner.
- Window AC should be installed at a correct height. The best height for window AC installation is 3-4 feet from the floor.
- Window AC should be installed in an area that provides proper ventilation.
- Window AC should be installed at a place away from heat source.
- Ensure that there is easy drainage for condensed water dripping out of window AC
- Do not install window AC unit in an area exposed to rain or direct sunlight.
(Cover image source: www.airlux.ca)
Leave a reply →
Choosing good air conditioners means saving you money in my opinion. I always prefer expensive electronics items only on Lowes home improvement store because they always provide genuine products. Lowes is the second biggest home improvement store in the united states. By God’s grace, I recently won the $500 worth gift card for free at lowes store by taking the official lowes customer satisfaction survey.
Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! I have judged that you do not compromise on quality.
This is a very informative post and a great in-depth guide on how to install a window air conditioning unit. However, I personally did not risk making an improper installation of my window-type AC and I opted to hire the services of a professional AC unit installer here in Phoenix, AZ which is American Home Water & Air. I chose them because they offer AC repair and maintenance as well should I need them in the future. Here’s where you can learn more about their services, I believe they offer AC maintenance plans as well and a couple of plumbing services.
Thanks for sharing the best and useful information with us. You made a good site and giving us such a great and useful suggestions and information on this