Thanks to modern technology, we can now use a number of amazing appliances and devices at our homes which make lives easier for ourselves. One such appliance is a tankless water heater. It is a relatively newer concept and is a water heater which instantly heats water after you open the hot water tap. Unlike traditional water heaters, these devices do not store water but provide an instant supply when you need it. While it is true that tankless water heaters prove much better than the tank storage ones, but one thing that you may have to consider before you decide on getting them is the initial costs. This article will help you know how much does it cost to install a tankless water heater. Read on to find out:
1. Purchasing costs
The first costs that you will have to consider when deciding on whether or not to buy tankless water heater is the purchasing cost. Due to the fact that these appliances perform much better than traditional ones, they cost more than them. The actual cost may depend upon the brand, size and other such factors but you must remember that an 8.5 gpm tankless gas heater costs somewhere close to $1200. The cost may also vary depending upon gas or electric tankless water heater variety. Electric tankless water heaters usually cost lower than the gas varieties.
2. Installation costs
In order to install a tankless water heater at home, you will be required to contact not just a plumber but also an electrician. The following are some installation steps you will need to follow that might be part of overall installation cossts:
- You may need changes in the circuit and may also have to go for a higher power voltage supply. For this you may have to either pay an hourly fee or a flat fee to the service provider or professional.
- If you are going for a gas tankless water heater then you may have to get proper ventilation installed so as avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Moreover you may also have to get the size of the gas lines completely changed and these things can take an average 10 hours depending upon which the service cost would be calculated.
- If you do not have much demand for hot water, then you can get a small sized electric tankless water heater installed through a plumber. In this case, you’ll need things like an electrical timer, water supply lines and an electrical outlet which together need atleast 2 hours of service time. Thus for such models, the installation cost may be much less.
3. Overall costs
- On an overall basis, tankless water heaters installation prices can vary anywhere between $100 and $4000 and up.
- As mentioned above, gas tankless water heaters require $600 more to install in comparison to those that are run by electricity.
- A single point unit costs about $120 whereas a central system can cost anywhere between $800 and $3000.
- Labour costs can be between $45 and $150 per hour however if you also need an electrician for the job, then the additional charge can be between $50 and $100 per hour.
- Material costs also add to the total installation costs and they are somewhere between $20 and $50 for basic installation tasks.
- FINAL COSTS:Thus besides the purchasing costs, the cost to install a tankless water heater can be about $1921 on an average. The average range thus lies between $1273 and $2300.
Now that you know how much does it cost to install a tankless water heater, you can decide whether you are willing to pay the amount or not. If yes, then you will need a professional to help you with the installation process. You can contact one through Mr Right services.