A compressor is the heart of an air conditioner system. It is the component that is responsible for cooling your room. It is located in the outside box along with the condenser and fan. This is also called the outer unit of AC system. A compressor is a reliable component of AC. So when it goes bad it indicates that there is a serious underlying fault that needs to be corrected immediately.
There are various reasons behind AC compressor not working:
- Excess refrigerant flow : The compressor’s job is to compress the low pressure cool refrigerant into high pressure hot gas. Excess refrigerant means excess high pressure. This high pressure build up inside the compressor makes it go bad.
- Lack of lubrication: A compressor needs lubrication for proper operations. Lubricating oil is carried through the AC system and compressor by the refrigerant. The oil will not circulate without refrigerant. When the refrigerant is undercharged or leaks then the lubrication oil also leaks along with it. Less refrigerant means lack of lubrication which damages the compressor.
- Poor heat dissipation: The compressor compresses the cool low pressure gas into high pressure hot gas. This process produces heat. A clogged radiator or dirt covered fins or faulty fan (the ones responsible for keeping the outer unit cool and well ventilated) result in poor heat dissipation from the outer unit. This causes the temperature and pressure to shoot up and damage the compressor.
- Compressor contamination: Over time dust, dirt and impurities get deposited inside the compressor. This contamination hinders in the proper functioning of compressor. It also makes the compressor go bad.
- Over use & frequent on-off : Frequent on-off of air conditioner hinders in the working of compressor. Sometime long and continuous hour of operation heats up the outer unit. This overheating has adverse effect on the compressor.
It is a common practice that when the compressor fails you replace it with a new one. But before making the replacement, make sure that you find out the actual cause of failure and repair it. If the actual causes of failure i.e. refrigerant over flow, lack of lubrication, heat dissipation etc. are not corrected, then within no time your new compressor will also go bad.
If you’re considering getting a new AC, do take a look at these amazing products available on Amazon.in:
- AmazonBasics 1.5 Ton 5 Star 2020 Inverter Split AC (Copper Condenser, Advanced Motor, White)
- Carrier 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper ESKO NEO HYBRIDJET INV R32CAI18EK5R39F0 White)
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Dual Inverter Split AC (Copper, KS-Q18HNZD , White, Hi Grooved Copper)
- Daikin 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter Split AC (Copper FTKR50TV White)
- Godrej 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper GIC 18HTC5-WTA White)
- Voltas 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper 185VSZS White)
For AC compressor change or compressor repair connect with Mr.Right.
Stay Healthy! Stay Happy!
Team Mr. Right
P.S. – These DIY recommendations will help you a lot if you wish to Service your Window AC on your own.
- Heebo Air Conditioning Cleaner & Purifier 450 ML: Pack of 2
- Stainless Steel Fin Comb Brush for AC Blade Radiator Cooling Straightening Cleaning Tool
- Real Life Solution Plastic AC Fin Comb Set, Straightener, Cleaner, Condenser, Evaporator, Cleaning Tool (Blue)
- KetZeal Plastic Cleaning Tool Kit Wire Brushes with Brass, Nylon, Stainless Steel Bristles (Set of 3)
For Better cleaning you can consider these Water Spray Guns available online:-