Do you ponder over all the important factors before buying something? Do you consider the pros and cons of the item you are buying? If the answer is no, then you should start considering all the important factors regarding an item before making the purchase. In the case of an air conditioner, it is especially important to go through all the necessary points before you decide which AC you want, as it is a big appliance and it is responsible for the air quality and temperature of your home. There are certain factors to consider before buying an air conditioner, to make the purchase worth your money and effort.
7 factors to consider before buying an air conditioner
Here we have discussed the factors to consider before buying an air conditioner, to help you make the right choice:
The size of the room or house and the limit of cooling determines the size of the air conditioner that you want to buy. The right-sized air conditioner is important for the efficient and increased lifespan of your AC. The capacity of AC is decided based on various factors such as room size, location, number of occupants, etc. Calculate the tonnage or BTU suitable for your home before finalizing your AC.
8 best air conditioners for you to buy:
1. MIDEA MAW05M1BWT Window air conditioner 5000 BTU with Mechanical Controls, 7 temperature, 2 cooling and fan settings, White
2. LG LW8016ER 8,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Remote Control Air Conditioner, White
3. Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner 8,000BTU, U-Shaped AC with Open Window Flexibility, Robust Installation, Extreme Quiet, 35% Energy Saving, Smart Control, Alexa, Remote, Bracket Included
4. Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner with Mechanical Controls, White
5. BLACK+DECKER BPACT10WT Portable Air Conditioner, 5,500 BTU DOE (10,000 BTU Ashrae), White
6. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier, Fan, for Rooms up to 150 sq ft, 8,000 BTU (5,300 BTU SACC) control with Remote
7. Rollibot ROLLICOOL Portable Air Conditioner w/App & Alexa Voice Control | Wi-Fi Enabled Portable AC & Dehumidifier | Quiet Operation, Easy Installation (10,000 BTU, White)
8. SereneLife SLPAC Portable Air Conditioner, 10,000 BTU, Fan, Exhaust Hose, Window Seal, Wheels, Remote
- Energy efficiency:
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) standardizes star-rated energy efficiency ratings, also called EER for the air conditioners. Before you buy an air conditioner, make sure there is a star rating for energy efficiency labeled on it. Higher the number of stars, the better the efficiency of the air conditioner. An AC with higher energy efficiency uses less power and thus helps in lowering the energy bills. Lower energy bills mean cost-saving, therefore it is advised to always buy an AC with a higher star rating or higher energy efficiency.
- Split or window AC:
Window AC has a single portable box that contains all the major components and it is installed on the window of a room. These are most suitable for cooling a smaller single room. On the other hand, split ACs have two separate units. The indoor unit contains the blower, cooling coils, and air filter. The outside unit of the AC has the compressor, the condenser coils, and some other capillary tubing. Split ACs are suitable for bigger rooms as their cooling capacity is higher. Though window ACs are cheaper and easier to install, split ACs are noiseless and have better air distribution.
- Air quality:
Indoor air quality is an important thing to keep in mind while buying AC. Having an AC with a good filter is vital in improving the air quality of your house. The air filters of the AC help in removing dirt and germs from the air, and sometimes it also filters out smoke and odors. Besides cleaning the air, a good filter also ensures that the dust and dirt don’t reach the evaporator coil and thus helps in improving the performance and energy efficiency of your AC. Also, look for an air conditioner that has a good dehumidification unit, to reduce humidity in your room. Air conditioners with good dehumidification units also provide you with better cooling and comfort.
Image credit: pixy.org
Best recommended AC air filters for you:
1. Trophy Air 20x25x1Pleated Electrostatic Air Filter Replacement | Washable | 6 Stage HVAC | Micro Allergen Defense, Healthier Home Environment | AC Furnace Air Filter Replacement | Made in the USA
2. Air-Care 16x20x1 Silver Electrostatic Washable A/C Furnace Air Filter – Limited, Never Buy Another Filter!! – Made In the USA
3. Flanders PrecisionAire 10155.011212 12 by 12 by 1 Flat Panel EZ Air Filter
4. Purolator/Indigo Fiberglass Filter 20x20x1 (12 Pack)
5. AIRx Filters Allergy 16x25x1 Air Filter MERV 11 AC Furnace Pleated Air Filter Replacement Box of 6, Made in the USA
6. Aerostar Allergen & Pet Dander 16 3/8×21 1/2×1 MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter, Made in the USA, (Actual Size: 16 3/8″x21 1/2″x3/4″), 6-Pack
7. Aerostar Home Max 20x20x1 MERV 13 Pleated Air Filter, Made in the USA, Captures Virus Particles, 6-Pack
- Cooling speed:
The adjustable thermostat and fans help you in getting different temperatures at different times of the day. The ability to set variable pre-defined temperatures helps in increasing the cooling efficiency and reduces energy usage.
Before buying an AC for yourself, compare various models of air conditioners available based on certain factors such as specifications, performance, customer review, after-sales service feedback, etc. After proper comparison, make the final decision as per your requirements and budget. Though air conditioners have a variety of features these days, it is important to choose the system which has the technology that fulfills your needs. Go for an AC of a well-established brand with all necessary features and a reasonable price.
- Installation and maintenance:
The performance of the AC also depends on its installation. Improper installation can harm the efficiency as well as the components of the air conditioner. Window ACs are easy to install in comparison to a split AC. It is best to get the AC installed by an authorized service center or by a professional to avoid any faults. Also, confirm the frequency of maintenance required for the system, to keep the AC working efficiently. Proper installation and regular maintenance help in increasing the lifespan of the air conditioner.
Image credit: Service ninjas
Deciding which air conditioner is right for you is a difficult task, but it is a very important task that should be done carefully. One wrong decision can cost you your money and comfort as an air conditioner is a heavy appliance and expensive too. Here we have discussed the factors to consider before buying an air conditioner, which will help you in finding the AC best for you.