If you own a CCTV camera then you must have seen CCTV feeds and videos. In some cases, your CCTV video may not be very clear and it may have horizontal lines on the monitor. These lines which are known as smear or blooming could make it very difficult for you to view the video. There are a lot of reasons which could be causing these horizontal lines in CCTV video and if you wish to resolve them you must know these reasons as well. Afterall, watching an important recording can be interrupted due to these lines. The following are some of the causes as well as solutions for horizontal lines in CCTV video:
1. Light source coming in way of camera
CAUSE: One of the main causes of horizontal lines in CCTV videos is light source coming in way of camera directly. If a light falls directly on the camera, then the video that comes to you or the feed transmitted may not be clear and may result in horizontal lines. What happens is that most security cameras are single chip CCD sensor ones. If these are faced with extra bright light then the pixels get overwhelmed and the horizontal lines that you see are basically electrical interference of light sensor.
SOLUTION: To solve this problem, reduce the amount of light or change its angle. One way to reduce the light is by using a dome camera which has a darkened shell.
Here are some Dome Cameras you can find online:-
- AVUE AV50HTG-2812 1080P HD TVI Turret Dome Camera
- Swann Home Security Dome Camera Weatherproof with Heat/Motion Sensor/Night Vision
- Reolink Wired Outdoor Cameras, 5MP 16-Channel NVR with 3TB HDD for Home and Business
- ICAMI Dome IP Camera Wireless Home Surveuillance System Audio with Motion Detect
- INQMEGA PTZ Camera Outdoor Surveillance Camera with Two Way Audio
2. Try a different camera
CAUSE: Low quality CCTV camera
SOLUTION: If the problem continues or is not resolved, then you can also try a camera with WDR or Widen Dynamic Range such as an Effio Series DSP camera. You can also try a CMOS sensor camera because such a device does not face the problem of horizontal lines. But it is important to keep in mind that even a CMOS sensor camera has a problem with too much direct light. This is so because extra light can burn out the pixels of the camera and will hence not let the camera produce a clear feed.
Here are some recommendations you can find online:-
- GeoVision 4MP H.265 Super Low Lux WDR Pro IR Mini Fixed IP Dome
- Hikvision 4MP WDR Network Camera
- 101AV WDR OSD Camera
- Empire Tech 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera
3. Problem with the power supply
CAUSE: In some cases, horizontal lines on the video feed of a CCTV camera suggest that there is a 60 Hz AC component in the video. This means that the power supply received by it is improper and needs to be changed.
SOLUTION: To solve this issue, you can change the power supply as it may not be very well filtered.
4. Problems with the Cat 5 shield
CAUSE: Another common cause for horizontal lines in CCTV camera is problem with the Cat 5 shield. Check if the Cat 5 shield if touching any equipment of not. Cat 5 shield is basically a category 5 cable used in computer networks which provides 100 MHz of performance.
SOLUTION: Make sure the cable is not touching or is grounded to both ends. Only one end must be grounded. to dissipate the RF to the ground.
If you want to change your wiring, we have some recommendations for you:-
- VIVO Gray 1,000ft Bulk Cat5e
- SolidLink CAT5e 1000ft Premium UTP Ethernet Cable
- Five Star Cable Cat5 1000 Ft Ethernet Cable Wire
- Dripstone 600001 1000ft CAT5e 4/UTP Ethernet LAN Cable
Now that you know some of the main causes and solutions for horizontal lines in CCTV video, you may be able to get rid of them. Try each of the above given methods and measures to solve the issue. This is so because the blooming lines can make it difficult for you to view the feed correctly. If you are unable to troubleshoot the problem on your own, you can always reach out to a professional. Contact Mr Right for CCTV camera video not clear or other such issues.