The rainy season is here and it brings along with it a number of woes and troubles and one of them is insects and mosquitoes. Mosquitoes not only spread germs but also diseases. They feed on blood and cause a lot of irritation when you go out. Mosquitoes can spread several diseases such as yellow fever, west Nile virus and encephalitis. Besides diseases, mosquito biting can also cause irritation, itching and redness etc. It is true that there are a number of over the counter products for mosquito bites but it is better to go for natural or home remedies to keep mosquitoes from biting. Some of them are given as follows:
1. Use apple cider vinegar
One of the most effective home remedies to keep mosquitoes from biting is using apple cider vinegar. Given below are some ways to use it:
- This vinegar can be rubbed on the skin to keep mosquitoes and insects away.
- You can also put this on foods that you eat as eating those foods can develop a natural body odor which repels insects.
- You can also make drinks containing apple cider vinegar and one of them is switchel.
2. Use garlic
Garlic in various forms too works as one of the home remedies to keep mosquitoes from biting. The following are some ways to use it as a guard against mosquitoes:
- You can swallow slivered garlic to keep off summer pests.
- Some other ways to consume garlic include in the form of garlic tablets, rubbing garlic juice on the skin directly etc.
- As a substitute to garlic, some people also apply onion or radish juice to the skin to keep insects like mosquitoes away.
3. Use lemon eucalyptus oil
Another wonderful natural way to keep mosquitoes from biting us is using lemon eucalyptus oil. Refer to the following to know how to use it:
- This oil can be rubbed or applied to the entire body as its odor repels mosquitoes and thus prevents them from biting.
- It can also be put on clothes to avoid mosquitoes from coming close.
4. Use vanilla extract
A lot of people also find use in imitation vanilla extract to keep mosquitoes away. This extract has a strong odor which mosquitoes get repelled by. Refer to the following to know how to use it:
- For this same purpose, you can also try baby oil by rubbing it on the skin.
5. Keep mosquitoes away from your yard
A good way to prevent mosquitoes from biting you is to keep them away from your yard altogether. This will reduce possibilities of bites and them entering the house as well.
- For this purpose, you can try burning a little bit of rosemary or sage over coals or eliminate possible breeding sites such as collected water etc.
- Adding plants like marigold, asters, basil, coriander etc can also keep mosquitoes away from your yard and hence at a safe distance from you.
- Adding a bat house to your yard can also reduce mosquitoes since it is a fact that a single small bat can eat upto 600 mosquitoes in one hour.
Now that you know the various home remedies to keep mosquitoes from biting, you too can follow these methods and stay clear of any germs and diseases this summer.