Dengue is one of the most common diseases spread during the rainy season. It is true that it is a preventable disease but can have serious effects on the patient and one of them is death. As they say ‘prevention is better than cure’, you must always try to take enough precautions rather than find a cure later on. This disease is caused due to a bite from Aedes albopictus mosquito which breeds in dirty water. Some of the symptoms of this disease include high fever, rashes, appetite loss, nausea, body pain and vomiting. The following is a detailed list of the methods of prevention for dengue during rainy season.
1. Maintain proper hygiene and sanitation
The first and most important precaution to take for dengue is to maintain proper hygiene and sanitation around you. For this you can follow some of the given tips:
- Keep your home and its neighbouring areas clean, do not litter and do not let water collect at any site.
- Keep all drains clean and clear and do not let them choke.
- Also, avoid irrigation, watering plants etc unless extremely necessary.
- Dust and mop indoor parts of the house regularly.
- Do not let water collect in and around the house.
- Clean the roof and driveway on a regular basis as well.
2. Use mosquito repellents as much as possible
There are many ways to repel mosquitoes away from you. Some of them are given as follows:
- The first and most effective way is to use electric mosquito repellents in whichever room you are in.
- Also, apply cream based or lotion based repellents on you so that mosquitoes are not attracted.
- Use mosquito screens if necessary and keep doors and windows of your house and office closed at all times, especially during rains.
- Use mosquito coils and aerosols if required.
3. Wear full sleeved clothing
It is better to wear long sleeved or full sleeved clothing as much as possible, especially when venturing out of the house. This will help prevent mosquito bites and hence chances of dengue.
4. Maintain personal hygiene
It is important to maintain personal hygiene as well as one of the precautions for dengue during rainy season. For this, You can follow some of the tips given below:
- Take baths everyday and if possible twice a day since mosquitoes are generally present in areas where the sanitation is poor.
- Wash hands before and after taking meals.
- Do not wear stained or smelly clothes as they tend to attract mosquitoes.
5. Change water from containers often
- Whether it is flower vases or animal drinking containers, it is important to change water from the containers on a regular basis, and if possible every day.
- This will avoid breeding of mosquitoes in stagnated water collectors around you and will hence lower the possibility of you suffering from dengue fever.
- Wrap unused plastic tyres so that water doesn’t collect in them and hence become a breeding place for mosquitoes.
6. Avoid venturing out as much as possible during the rainy season
Another way to prevent dengue is to avoid venturing out as much as possible especially during the rainy season. Ask your kids to play at home rather than outdoors during monsoons as this will help reduce the risk of mosquito bites. Order groceries online or use home delivery services whenever and wherever possible.
Now that you know the various precautions for dengue during rainy season, you can easily steer away from the disease causing insect always. Dengue is a serious condition which can make a person very ill. It is best to keep yourself and your loved ones safe from this disease by following these tips and precautions. If you are unable to clean your home and surroundings yourself, you can opt for commercial cleaning services and this can be done by contacting Mr Right.