Maintaining a good air quality inside your home is vital to keep yourself and your loved ones healthy and happy. Improving the ventilation and airflow aids in improving the air quality. There are many ways in which you can improve the ventilation and airflow inside your home. Proper airflow and ventilation system helps in decreasing the concentration of contaminants in the air, making it cleaner and healthier. Let us know what are some ways to improve ventilation inside your home.
1. Increase fresh air inflow in your home
A proper airflow from outside to inside and vice versa is necessary to maintain fresh air inside your home. Regular exchange of air ensures that there is no accumulation of virus particles inside the room. Therefore, keep the windows and doors of your home open, keeping safety in mind. If for any reason, it is unsafe to keep your doors and windows open, you can also use fans, air filtration systems, and/ or exhaust fans. You can try cross-ventilation by using two or more fans, one to draw air in and the other to push air out. One other way to cross-ventilate is by opening windows or doors on opposite sides of the home. In case you are using only one fan, make sure to keep its airflow in sync with the natural airflow.
2. Use an HVAC system to filter the air inside your home
Filtering the air inside your home can also help in reducing pollutants or contaminants from the air. If you have an HVAC system in your home, you can use it to filter out the virus and other pollutants. For this, you will need to run your system for longer periods. You can also set the HVAC fan to the ‘On’ instead of the ‘Auto’ mode. This will ensure that the fan runs without the heating/ cooling system.
The type of air filter used also makes a difference in the air quality inside your home. Opt for the best filter like Pleated filter, HEPA, activated carbon filter, etc. for better results. Make sure that the filter is properly installed and completely fits the slot in which it is put. Check your HVAC manual to confirm the types of air filters it supports. Also, always replace or clean your air filter once every three months or as specified by the filter manufacturer. Get the ducts and ventilation system of your home checked once a year by a professional to ensure they are in proper working condition.
Some top HVAC air filters recommended for you:
- Air Purifier Whole House Uv Light in Duct for Hvac Ac (Air Conditioning) Duct Germicidal Filter + 2 replacement bulbs
- Original PURE AIR UV AIR Purifier Whole House Dual UV UVC Light in Duct for HVAC AC Duct GERMICIDAL Filter
- Trophy Air 20x25x1Pleated Electrostatic Air Filter Replacement | Washable | 6 Stage HVAC | Micro Allergen Defense, Healthier Home Environment | AC Furnace Air Filter Replacement | Made in the USA
- Air-Care 16x20x1 Silver Electrostatic Washable A/C Furnace Air Filter – Limited, Never Buy Another Filter!! – Made In the USA
- AIRx Filters Allergy 16x25x1 Air Filter MERV 11 AC Furnace Pleated Air Filter Replacement Box of 6, Made in the USA
- Aerostar Allergen & Pet Dander 16 3/8×21 1/2×1 MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter, Made in the USA, (Actual Size: 16 3/8″x21 1/2″x3/4″), 6-Pack
- Flanders PrecisionAire 10155.011212 12 by 12 by 1 Flat Panel EZ Air Filter
- Purolator/Indigo Fiberglass Filter 20x20x1 (12 Pack)
3. Use a portable air purifier
Besides the basic ventilation and HVAC system, there is one more way to improve the air quality inside your home. You can get a portable air purifier for your home and get clean air. There are many ways in which air purifiers can prove to be good for your health. But just getting any air purifier may not be that helpful for you as someone else. To get the most and best of your air purifier, you need to consider all important points and features before buying one. Select the features based on your needs, get the right-sized air purifier, and one of the most important, get the best filter. Get the air purifier with HEPA, carbonated air filter, or such high-end filters to the best results. Always place the air purifier in the best place as per your needs.
Some of the best-recommended air purifiers to choose from:
- Coway Professional Air Purifier for Home
- Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier
- Mi Air Purifier 3 with True HEPA Filter
- Coway Airmega AP-1512HH(W) True HEPA Purifier
- LEVOIT Air Purifiers for Home
- Medify MA-25 Air Purifier
4. Use the exhaust fan in your kitchen and bathroom
Ventilation is most required in the kitchen and bathroom in your home. Installing exhaust fans in these two parts of your home will help in pushing the contaminated air outside. Exhaust fans also help in improving the airflow inside your home. Turn the exhaust fans on while and after using the bathroom and kitchen. Also, keep the exhaust fans running when you have visitors in your home and even for a short period after they leave. It will prevent virus or contaminant concentration in one place and improve air quality.
5. Improve the airflow in your home by using fans
Using fans after opening the doors and windows increases the inflow of fresh air from the outside and also pushes the inside air out. In short, it improves ventilation. But, using the fan even when the windows and doors are closed is also important. Turn the ceiling fans on to improve the airflow indoors. If you have window fans or pedestal fans pr table fans, point their airflow away from people. Keeping the fans pointed in the direction of people increases the pollutant concentration and leads it directly to the people. Keep the fans as close to the open doors or windows as possible.
6. Limit visitors and time spent in your home
Try to limit the number of people visiting your home and shorten their stay. If you have a gathering, try to keep it in the larger rooms or the open spaces. If you are having people over during this Covid-19 pandemic, make sure that everyone wears a mask and maintains the necessary distance between each other.
The rising viruses, infection, and pollution levels call for some ways to improve the air quality at least in our home. Proper ventilation is very important to keep the air inside fresh and contaminant-free. As mentioned above, there are various ways to improve ventilation inside your home. You can use the simple natural way or put your home air appliances to use and improve the air quality in your home. Use the technique most suitable for you or combine them and get fresh and healthy air to breathe. Follow the tips and get the best out of your appliances like fans, HVAC, air purifiers, etc.