Leather is definitely one of the most popular bag material choice for most of us. But this material often tends to get stained or dirty due to its usage. If you own a leather bag then you must know that without cleaning and maintenance, the bag can lose its sheen and finish pretty fast. This is why it is important that you give it a good cleaning session every once in a while. But since they are really delicate, you must follow certain guidelines and tips to clean leather bags carefully. Doing so will help you keep them looking new for a long time and may also help extend their life. The following are some tips and suggestions on how to clean a leather bag.
1. Use nail polish remover for stains and scuffs
- In order to get rid of ink stains and scuffs, you can make use of nail polish remover or a little bit of alcohol.
- All you need to do is to dip a cotton swab into one of these solutions and lightly blot the stain.
- Rubbing could make the ink spread so avoid rubbing.
- Blot gently until the stain has been removed.
- Once done, wipe off with a clean and damp cloth and dry it down using a towel.
2. Use cornstarch or baking soda for oil and grease marks
- Another way to clean a leather bag properly is by making use of baking soda or cornstarch.
- This is an effective for cleaning oil or grease stains.
- All you need to do is to sprinkle a little bit of baking soda on the grease spot and rub it in gently using a damp cloth. After this let this rest for a few hours or even overnight.
- The soda or the baking powder will absorb all the oil. Wipe off all the powder using a soft cloth.
3. Use lemon juice and cream of tartar
- Take lemon juice and cream of tartar and mix them in equal quantities.
- Make a paste and apply it to the stained area.
- Let it sit there for about 30 minutes and later remove it using a damp cloth.
- Both of these ingredients have a bleaching effect and hence it is advisable that you use the paste only on light colored leather bags.
4. After cleaning tips
- Once you have cleaned your leather bag of various kinds of marks and stains, take a leather conditioner to keep it from drying and hence cracking.
- The conditioner also makes the bag resistant to future stains.
- Commercial cleaners are easily available however you can prepare your own by mixing 1 part vinegar and 2 parts linseed oil.
- Apply this to the leather, let it sit for about 15 minutes and buff using a soft cloth.
Now that you know the various ways to clean a leather bag, you can maintain all your bags easily at home. You will be surprised to know that there are several professional handbag cleaning services as well. If you wish to get your leather handbag cleaned, dry cleaned or repaired, you can contact Mr Right and avail such services.