Most of us use satellite connection to watch various different TV channels in our houses and other places these days. Dish TV or satellite TV is not a new concept and has been around for several years. It has totally replaced cable TV connections and proves much more convenient to most. Every satellite TV connection comes with a set top box which is the appliance that is put near the television set to help you use it and watch your favourite channels. However in some cases it may not work properly. If you wish to know the common causes for set top box not working, you will find the information given below useful.
1. Make sure all the connections are made correct
CAUSE: The first and most common cause for set top box not working is improper cable connections.
- Make sure all the cables are connected in the right ports and none of the connections are broken or obstructed.
- Refer to the user manual if you have any confusion regarding the same.
- All the connections should be tight.
- After doing so, try turning on the box again and check.
2. Insert the card properly
CAUSE: Another common reason for set top box not working could be a loose card. As you will see on your set top box, there is a slot which contains a card. If this card is not inserted properly, then your box may not work.
- Thus to solve this issue, take out the card and then insert it back again tightly.
- Make sure you put the card in the right direction and side.
- Try turning on the box and check whether it is working now.
3. No power
CAUSE: Make sure that the set top box is receiving power to function.
- For this, ensure that the power supply in which the device is plugged in is working fine.
- For this you can use a multimeter and check for its continuity. Continuity testing is basically checking resistance between two points.
- Take the multimeter and set it in continuity mode and touch the tips of the probes together so that they make a beeping sound.
- If there is no continuity, then you need to repair or replace the supply.
- However if there is continuity, then the issue could be with the power cord.
- Call a professional to check the cord and if it is damaged, then get it repaired or replaced.
- Check the set top box again.
Here are some Multipurpose Multimeters your can find online:-
- HTC Instrument Mas 830L Digital Pocket Multimeter Dmm
- Uni-T Ut-33D Digital Multimeter With Continuity Buzzer
- Freshdcart DT-266 Clamp Multimeter Auto Ranging Amp Current Voltage Measurement Device
- Mextech DT-603 Digital Multimeter
4. Check if the device is receiving signals
CAUSE: Another reason for set top box not working could be if it is not receiving signals. In case of bad weather or bad reception, the box may not show any picture.
- You must ensure that the dish is in the right direction and none of its wires and cables etc are broken or obstructed.
- Your chosen location should have a clear line of sight facing south.
- Also, wait for the weather to go normal and then check again.
These were the most common reasons for set top box not working. Now that you know the causes, you can easily solve the issue on your own. But if you are not able to, then contact a professional for DTH repair or DTH installation etc through Mr Right.
If you are looking for a new SET TOP BOX, we have some suggestions for you:-