Essentially, no food item benefits from being stored. Food items benefit most when they are consumed as fresh. But it’s not possible to consume everything at once as soon as it is prepared. Food items get spoiled at room temperature because of bacterial growth. Therefore, to keep the food items fresh for a longer period, refrigerator is the safest place. Inside a refrigerator the temperature is much lower than room temperature, which controls the bacterial growth. But, a refrigerator can be useful only if the food items are stored correctly.
We usually complain that our refrigerator is not cooling or fridge is not working properly and food is getting spoiled due to compressor related problems. But, have we ever checked that are we storing the food at the right place inside our refrigerator.
Below are few tips for you:
Understand which food goes where in the refrigerator
- The dairy products like milk, curd and cheese should be kept in cold place. So place them on the top shelf just below the freezer. Since you don’t want them to freeze, so do not store them inside freezer.
- The meat items are perishable in nature. So keep your meats in the freezer. Not only freezer is the coldest area, but also if a meat package leaks, it won’t contaminate other foods items.
- Eggs last longer if they are stored at a place where the temperature is constant. So do not store eggs in the door of refrigerator because every time when the door opens there is a temperature change. They should be kept nearer the back of the fridge, where the temperature is more constant.
- Keep your fruits and greens in the bottom shelf. This area has humidity control and so it keeps your vegetables fresh and crisp.
- Keep your non-perishable sodas and colas in the door shelf. Door is this place inside a refrigerator where maximum temperature change takes place. The sodas and colas are not affected by the temperature change and can last longer.
- Do not put hot food items in the refrigerator. Let them cool down to the room temperature and then store them in the refrigerator.
- Avoid storing bakery items like bread, cookies, cakes etc. in refrigerator for a longer duration.
By following the above-mentioned tips you can not only keep your food and drinks fresh for a longer time period but also you will help your refrigerator and its compressor function effectively and efficiently.
If your fridge is not cooling, you may refer to this article – Fridge not cooling? Here’s what you can do.” Or lodge your complain with mrright.in to find engineers to service or repair your fridge and we’ll connect you with the best available refrigerator technician in your neighbourhood.
For more information related to refrigerator, its problems and tips , visit our blog – mrright.in/ideas
Mr Right Services – Future of Home Repairs