If you have noticed damp walls inside your house, then this must not be taken lightly. Damp walls can wreck havoc on your house and slowly transforms into much bigger problems for you. As soon as this issue is spotted it must be dealt with using a combination of heat, damp proof methods, good ventilation as well as good overall maintenance. One of the main causes for damp walls is poor ventilation. Besides solving this issue, there are many more you may need to look into. Some of them are given as follows along with ways to fix damp walls. Read on to find out.
CAUSE: If there is condensation in your room or house then it can lead to damp walls. Some of the signs of condensation include steamed up windows, damp patches and peeling wallpapers etc.
SOLUTION: The best way to fix damp walls which are caused due to condensation is to use a combination of ventilation and heating. Avoid using wall coverings and non-porous paints and it is advisable to use a dehumidifier as week in this case. Remember to check your clothes dryer vent and ventilation fans located in the kitchen and bathrooms as well. This is important to ensure they lead airflow directly outside the place.
2. Rising damp
CAUSE: Rising damp can also prove to be a big problem and may lead to dampening of your internal walls. Rising damp can also lead to wet tor, damage to concrete, brick and wooden structures if left unchecked.
SOLUTION: It is best to deal with the problem of rising damp by using plastic sheeting that is laid under concrete floors and floor coverings. Go for a chemical damp-proof course which is injected in the walls to prevent dampness. You can also deal with rising damp by using anti mould cleaner to clean the plaster on the walls. You must use stain blocking primer paint to redecorate the walls.
3. Penetrating damp
CAUSE: Some signs of penetrating damp include presence of fungus, water on the surface, blotchy and damp patches on walls etc. Some things that may cause penetrating damp include leaking pipes, overflowing gutters, faulty fittings and roof, missing roof tiles etc.
SOLUTION: In order to deal with this kind of damp you must keep your home well maintained always and make sure that the roofs are checked on a regular basis. Areas around and inside the house must be kept ventilated and damp-proof courses must be applied if needed. The key is to eliminate the moisture at its source. For this, follow the given tips:
- Check and reseal the windows and exterior door frames throughout the house and use a good quality sealant.
- You may need to reappoint broken and missing pieces of mortar found between the bricks to restore the damage.
- Make sure you check the cavity walls and if you find any debris or obstructions, appoint a professional to restore as this can be a tricky and long process.
CAUSE: Another common cause for damp walls in the basement is leaks. Here’s how to solve this problem:
- It is best to be vigilant and check connections and all the water pipes in the house on a regular basis. Bath seals must be proper and effective and a plumber must be contacted to deal with any pipe connection that you think is not proper.
- You must first check and detect the source of the leak. The most common source is a non structural wall crack so make sure you look for cracks in the walls.
- If the crack is actually causing the leak and hence the damp walls, then there is necessarily no need to tear the wall down and hire a professional. You can simply use Sodium bentonite clay as it helps seal the crack without too much expense or hardwork.
- Some other ways to deal with leaks include repair works such as exterior waterproofing membranes and using exterior drain tiles.
Damp walls can lead to several issues if left neglected and this is why you must follow the above given tips and ideas to fix damp walls as soon as you detect them. However it is always better to contact a professional plumber for this purpose as you may not always be equipped to handle something of this extent. Reach out to Mr Right for any plumbing related needs and general plumbing work.