The solar panel technology is gathering strong momentum in countries like India. The reasons for the rising demand are mounting power bills and rising levels of air pollution in the country. Installing solar panels not only reduces electricity bills to a great extent, but also plays a major role in reducing air pollution. The need for a solar system also depends onone’s use case and objective If someone is looking for power backup, he should choose an off-grid solar system, but if someone wants to reduce his electricity bill, he should go for an on-grid solar system. As cost and technology improvement gather pace around the technology, solar panels have become more and more popular in our country. Today, installing a solar system on your rooftop or compound could multiply your property value.
Key Points [Table of Contents]
- What is a Solar PV System?
- What are solar panels made of?
- How does Solar PV System work?
- Types of Solar PV Systems?A. Off Grid Solar SystemB. On Grid Solar System
- How much does the solar PV system cost?
- How much area do you need for system installation?
- Can you use solar PV with your existing inverter battery system?
- Are there any subsidy available for rooftop solar PV?
- What are the comparison between Mono vs. Poly solar panel?
- Which brand should you choose?
Top 10 Best Solar Panels in India 2019 – 12V & 24V
What is a Solar PV System?
A Solar system comprises of solar panels/ modules, charge controller, inverter, battery and balance of systems. Solar panels are the most important component of a rooftop system and account for 50% of the total system cost. Inverters are the powerhouses of the solar system that store the excess energy generated by the panels to be used later when there is no sun. These account for nearly 25% of the total system cost. Balance of Systems include accessories like wires, cabling, mounting structures, junction boxes etc.
What are solar panels made of?
Solar panels are made up of solar cells and involves a total of 20-25 machines. It involves cutting, stringing, taping, connection, testing, lamination, fixing junction box, cleaning, inspection, etc. processes to make a complete solar panel. You can read about the detailed process here:
How does Solar PV System work?
The panels absorb sunlight during the day and stores the excess power generated to be used during night time. When sunlight falls on the panels, a reaction takes place converting solar energy into electricity. The higher the energy falling on an atom, the easier is the excitation of electrons that contribute to the flow of current and higher current is produced.
Types of Solar PV Systems?
Off Grid Solar System – An off-grid solar system typically consists of solar panels, inverter, mounting structure, power backup, grid box and balance of systems. An off-grid solar system works independently of the grid and should be preferred where power problem is acute and there is no reliable power supply.
On Grid Solar System – An on grid solar system works together with the power grid. It is generally used when your power consumption is high and you want to reduce your electricity bills. In an on grid system there are no batteries.
How much does the solar PV system cost?
A 1 kW off-grid solar system will cost you around Rs. 1-1.25 lakh. A grid connected system of the same size will cost Rs. 75,000-90,000. It costs around Rs. 60,000- Rs.1 lakh to install an off-grid solar system (1 kVA system – two batteries and three solar panels). An inverter battery costs around Rs. 20,000.
A 1 kW solar system needs 80 – 100 square feet area for installation.
Can you use solar PV with your existing inverter battery system?
Yes, you can use the same. You have to buy solar panels and charge controller only.
Are there any subsidy available for rooftop solar PV?
Yes, various central and state subsidies are available. However, they are more readily available for educational institutes, hospital, government/ public establishments.
What are the comparison between Mono vs. Poly solar panel?
Polycrystalline silicon or Polysilicon is a material consisting of multiple small silicon crystals. Polycrystalline silicon is highly pure (as much as 99.9999% pure) form of silicon and is much costlier. Monocrystalline solar cells on the other hand are made of single crystal polysilicon and have higher efficiency than those made from multicrystalline polysilicon.
Which brand should you choose?
Leading solar panel brands in India are Loom Solar, Luminous, Microtek, Exide, Havells, Vikram and Waaree.
Here is the list of solar panel criteria based on we can choose the best solar panel brands:-
- Sales, Service and Maintenance after buying product – A good company will always be prompt in providing all the above mentioned services.
- Installation Service – A good solar panel supplier will provide prompt installation services. You do not have to stress about the installation process or worry about the connections.
- Warranty – Solar panels are a long-term investment and customers want to work with a bankable partners, hence warranty plays an important role in determining who will be the solar panel seller. In India, panels are available with 10 years product warranty and 25 years power warranty.
- Efficiency – The efficiency of a solar panel is calculated by the amount of sunlight it converts into electricity per unit of area. Leading global solar panel companies like SunPower and Trina Solar have efficiencies of 24.1% and 17.8%. Indian companies like Loom Solar has more than 19% efficiency.
- Durability – The durability of a panel is estimated by its strength to endure heavy rains, hailstorms, high winds, excessive pressure, etc. Most of the leading solar panel brands are designed to sustain these extreme conditions.
- Temperature Coefficient – Temperature coefficient is measured as the effect of high temperatures on functioning of solar panels. The lower the temperature coefficient, the better.
- Reviews – Last but not the least, is the reviews available on the internet. Once you have narrowed your preferred brands, you can zero down your product with the help of customer reviews and testimonials available for these brands.
Top 10 Best Solar Panels in India in 2019 – 12V & 24V
- Loom Solar 180 Watt – 12V Mono Panel
This panel is made up of A grade black silicon cells made of superior quality silicon which gives higher efficiency up to 20%. This panel is capable of performing in low light conditions and uses monocrystalline technology that comes with 5 busbars. Its output power is 180 Watt and is available for Rs. 7,500 only. Compare and Buy from here
2. Luminous 165 Watt – 12 Volt Solar Panel (Poly)
This panel is highest capacity panel in 12 volt and uses polycrystalline technology. It is a good option to pair with single battery based inverter and is capable of generating 8.7 amps during peak sunlight hours. Its output power is 165 Watt and is available for Rs. 7,500 only. Compare and Buy from here.
3. Microtek 150 Watt – 12 Volt Solar Panel (Poly)
This panel is the most popular model for homes where inverters are used for charging the batteries. Its output power is 150 Watt and is available for Rs. 6,500 only. Compare and Buy from here.
4. Exide 150 Watt – 12 Volt Solar Panel (Poly)
Exide offers Solar PV Modules that are manufactured using best available technology and raw materials. Exide’s Solar PV Modules are used in varied applications.This panel is known for its high torsional strength and ease of installation.
5. Havells 150 Watt – 12 Volt Solar Panel (Poly)
This brand of solar panel is known for its high output power due to positive power tolerance and extremely reliable performance under all weather conditions. The poly crystalline modules are designed for on-grid as well as off-grid applications.
6. Loom Solar 340 Watt – 24 Volt Mono Panel
This solar panel is made of mono perk cells which gives higher efficiency up to 20%. The panel is capable of performing in low light conditions and cloudy weather conditions. It is made of A grade, has an output power of 340 Watt and is available for Rs. 7,500 only. Compare and Buy from here.
7. Loom Solar 340 Watt AC Module with Mono crystalline
It is one of the best selling models in India. Home appliances such as fans, TV, refrigerator, cooler, air conditioner can comfortably run directly from solar power without inverters, batteries. However, it will not work when there is a power cut since it is an on-grid solar product. The set is available for Rs. 25,000. Compare and Buy from here.
8. Luminous 325 Watt Solar Panel – Poly
Luminous solar panel 325 Watt – 24 Volt is used to generate electricity from solar panels. It is connected with inverters for generated electricity to make use in homes and offices. Compare and Buy from here.
9. Vikram Solar 330 Watt Solar Panel – Poly
Monocrystalline solar power module with a range of 330 and up to 19.10% efficiency. Very reliable product suiting harsh environmental conditions.
10. Waaree 325 Watt – 24 Volt Poly Crystalline
Waaree Energies Ltd. is amongst the top Solar Energy Companies and has the country’s largest Solar PV Module manufacturing capacityof 1.5 GW. In addition, it is committed to provide top notch EPC services, project development, rooftop solutions, solar water pumps andalso in an Independent Power Producer. Waaree has its presence in over 280+ locations nationally and 68 countries globally. This panel is characterized by efficiency of 18.85%.