In the majority of the complaints by customers for a reduction in video quality, a dirty CCTV camera lens is the culprit. Cleaning the camera lens is vital in maintaining the image and video output clarity. A monthly clean-up is more than enough to keep the CCTV camera delivering high-quality output. Cleaning the lens of a CCTV is a fairly easy task too. But if precautions are not taken, one can easily mess up the process!
But don’t worry, you won’t go wrong if you follow the below mentioned easy steps for cleaning your CCTV camera lens.
What you will need:
- A clean microfiber cloth
- (Optional) A can of compressed air
- (Optional) Lens cleaner solution
Here are some recommendations for the equipment needed to clean the lens:-
- Care Touch Microfiber Cleaning Cloths
- E-Cloth Window/Glass Cleaning Pack
- Buff Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
- MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Compressed Air Duster
- X3 Hurricane Cordless Rechargeable Compressed Air Cleaner
- Canless Air – The O2 Hurricane 220+ MPH Compressed Air
- OPOLAR Battery Operated Air Duster
- XPOWER A-2 Airrow Pro Multi-Use Duster Dryer Air Pump Blower
- Pixel RB-20 Strong Cleaning Air Blower
- Dust Off Compressed Air Gas Cans
Lens Cleaner Solution
- Care Touch Lens Cleaning Wipes
- Eclipse Cleaning System Solution
- Sticklers Fiber Optic Cleaning Fluid
- Orion 5825 Deluxe 6-Piece Optics Cleaning Kit
- ROR Optical Lens Cleaner
- Honeywell S463 Uvex Liquid Lens Cleaner
Steps to clean CCTV camera lens:
- Firstly, switch off the CCTV camera unit. This is done to prevent any damage to the moving mechanism of the camera. Also, it’s safer for the person who’s cleaning the CCTV camera.
- If you have a compressed air can, use it to blow off the loose dirt and dust from the camera lens. Otherwise simply use your mouth to blow air.
- Now, use the microfiber cloth with gentle pressure to wipe the lens clean.
- Now, wet the microfiber cloth to with a small amount of lens cleaner solution and wipe the CCTV camera lens gently. If you don’t own a lens cleaner solution, just exhale at the camera lens to build moisture, and wipe clean with the microfiber. This will remove all the smudges from the lens.
We recommend the following cleaning kit designed especially for cameras, available through Amazon:
- Movo Deluxe Essentials Camera Cleaning Kit
- Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit
- CAMKIX Professional Camera Cleaning Kit
- Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System
Still having bad picture quality? Just book a case of CCTV picture not clear, and let our Pros diagnose the problem for you.