It is true that you may have installed those amazing floor tiles with all your heart and after selecting them from a huge collection but there may come a time when you may have to remove them due to some or the other reason. But when removing floor tiles, you will have to be very careful since there is always a risk of breaking them. Once broken, the tiles may need complete replacement. For your help and reference, we have brought a few effective tips and suggestions that will help you remove floor tiles without breaking them. They are given as follows:
Step 1: Dealing with tile grout
The first thing that you have to do when removing floor tiles without breaking them is to deal with grout. Grout is nothing but a mixture of concrete mixed with sand which dries and becomes hard. For making sure that grout is dealt with properly, you will have to take help of a grout saw. This is a tool which helps you cut hardened grout easily.
NUOEY 12PCS Tile Joint Tool Sealant Removal GroutScraping off Edges Caulking Tool Set
This tile joint grout removal hand tool can remove unwanted grout, mortar, thinset, caulking and surface residue, great for detail work
Here are some Grout saw you can find on Amazon:-
- REETREE Grout Removal Tool
- M-D Building Products Heavy Duty Tile Grout Saw
- Goldblatt G02738 Pro Tile Grout Saw
Step 2: Avoid cracking or breaking tiles while removing
- Now once you have cut and removed the grout from in between the tiles, the next step is to avoid any kinds of cracks and damage.
- For this you can make use of a masking tape.
- First, rip two pieces off and then cross them in the centre of each tile in such a way that you seem like you are trying to pry them off the floor.
- What the masking tape will do is that it will absorb the vibrations and avoid risk of cracking.
Masking Tapes available on Amazon:-
- Scotch Tan Home & Office Masking Tape
- 3M 2050 Scotch Masking Tape
- Duck Brand 394700 General Purpose Masking Tape
- AmazonBasics Masking Tape
Step 3: Remove floor tiles without breaking them
- It is a fact that it is always difficult to remove the first tile and the rest of them are comparatively easier. The idea is to go really slow and work in a methodical and well planned way.
- Try to protect the tile as much as possible.
- Take a putty knife and place it along the cut grout line at such an angle that it is as close to the surface as possible.
- Take a rubber mallet and tap the end slowly until it is worked under the tile.
- Now take the putty knife off and put it at the next edge. Repeat the process until all the sides are done.
- Place a suction cup in the middle of the tile and thread twine through the hole. As you pry the tile, make sure that you pull on the twine very cautiously.
- Remove the rest of the tiles too in the same manner.
- You must be careful about storing the removed floor tiles as well. Avoid stacking them and if you do, be very careful.
Putty Knife ScrapersMetal Scraper Tool for Drywall Finishing, Plaster Scraping, Decals, and Wallpaper
High-quality spackling knife built with 3CR13 stainless steel, different from carbon steel materials on the market, this 3CR13 stainless steel undoubtedly featuring strong and corrosion-resistant. Blade in a mirrored polished finish was designed for anti-rust and easy cleanup
Here are some Putty Knives you can find online:-
- DEKEones Putty Knife Scrapers
- Red Devil 4251 6-in-1 Painter’s Tool
- Bates- Paint Scraper, Putty Knife Set
- KingOrigin putty knife,paint scraper set
Now that you know how to remove floor tiles without breaking them, you might not require professional help. However if you still want to ask an experienced person to do the job for you, you can contact service provider like Mr. Right for any home improvement or cleaning services.