Let’s accept it: shifting your house is a formidable and time-consuming task that requires proper preparation and planning. Whether you hire a moving company, or you do it on your own, both will involve your cooperation and assistance.
Shifting to a new house is not just about packing and arranging but also about checking the defects and getting them fixed. The better you prepare yourself, the fewer issues will arise and this will make shifting a less exhausting task. So, while organising things and finalising the movers and packers, do not slip up on minor flaws.
To make sure you don’t miss out anything, here is a detailed checklist for shifting into a new house in India with zero hassles.
- First and foremost task before shifting is to give your landlord an advance notice.
- You should inform your landlord at least 30 days in advance of your desire to move. You can either give your landlord written notification of moving out or can post the notice via certified mail. Also, do not forget to collect security money when you leave the house.
- The second most vital task before shifting is to allocate a cumulative budget. Estimate both pre and post moving costs to make the rest of the relocation process stress-free and smooth. Costs of shifting depend on numerous factors like location, its distance and the area including packing materials, furniture etc. So, before moving to a new house, try to make a list which will help you decide which items/goods to carry, which to sell, or which ones to bequeath.
- Decide whether you are going to move on your own or want to hire a moving company. If you want to do it yourself, then you need to evaluate your resources properly. Pack all your stuff in batches. Arrange boxes and packing materials like Tape, thermocols, Bubble Wrap, and permanent markers in advance. Also, do not forget to order special containers for moving dish barrels and apparel luggage.
- If you are hiring shifting company in Pune or any other city of India, then make sure to book them months in advance also compare rates and profiles before choosing. The cost of packing and shifting is entirely dependent on the number of goods you want to carry along with you. Hence, it is crucial to list down all the necessary items which you will like to carry to the new home. According to which the service providers will buy materials for packing.
- Start analysing the cost of transportation, labour and packaging materials in your area through journals and blogging sites. Research through different sources can save you from lots of small troubles and impediment. Also, do not skimp on researching about schools and hospitals if you have children.
- It is necessary to get the right insurance coverage for moving. Professional packers and movers provide transit insurance. So, before you choose the insurance, make sure to read the terms and conditions properly. Always review the type of damages and loss your moving insurance will cover before hiring.
- Make sure that you pack and label every box properly so that one can identify what’s inside the box and where to look for which items after reaching the destination. Start sorting and disposing of things that you do not want to carry by using it up.
- Take photos of things before carrying. It will help in case your items get damaged in transit. Through the pictures, you can verify that your goods were not damaged earlier.
- If you want to take your car (any vehicle) along with you, then make sure to update your insurance with the relevant certificates from the insurance company. Also, don’t forget to fill in the RTO (Regional Transport Office) form and receive the NOC after that. Conversely, you can even sell your car before shifting.
- Keep the record of entire estimated bids, receipts, inventory of all moving items, copies of Registration documents, Insurance documents, and Tax paid receipts. Review all the papers and make sure that every claim made by the service provider is true as per the records.
- Notify the post office, Taxation department, Insurance Company and relative about your new address before moving. You can update the address online and set it for a specific start date. Make sure that you do this at least a week before the moving day.
- Don’t forget to shut down the electric service, gas service, cable, and internet etc. at your current place also make sure that you transfer them at your new location.
- Always remember to take measurements of the new rooms and note down their dimensions. Measure all interior spaces before shifting. So that you can direct your movers where and how to put all your furnishings stuff on the place they belong.
- Make a final walkthrough; Keep precious items like jewelry and valuable documents with yourself and switch off all the lights before you leave your home.
- And the final task you need to do after reaching your new house is to clean it up and ensure everything is working fine before your goods arrive. Always unpack the essential items first and install them in their respective place.
A proper checklist is crucial for organised packing and moving. It is a great idea to make sure you stay on track with all your planning. So get ready for the smoothest shifting experience with our comprehensive moving checklist.
If we skipped anything, please let us know in the comments section below.
Best of luck and happy moving!