What are the most critical points that you consider while buying a refrigerator? Probably the price and size of the refrigerator, right? You are right in doing so, but there is one more dynamic that you need to think about before finalizing your decision- the configuration of the refrigerator. The refrigerator’s configuration can also be explained as the placement of the freezer in the refrigerator. There are two categories when it comes to freezer location which is the top freezer and the bottom freezer. Here we are going to discuss this in detail to help you decide which one is better for you- top-freezer or bottom-freezer.
Top 8 refrigerator recommendations for you:
- Haier 195 L 4 Star Direct-Cool Single-Door Refrigerator (HED- 20CFDS, Dazzle Steel)
- Whirlpool 265 L 3 Star Inverter Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator (INTELLIFRESH INV CNV 278 3S, German Steel, Convertible)
- Whirlpool 190 L 2 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator (WDE 205 CLS PLUS 2S, Wine Fiesta, Toughened Glass Shelves)
- Godrej 260 L 3 Star Inverter Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator (RF EON 260C 35 RCIF ST RH, Steel Rush, 6 in 1 Convertible)
- Haier 320 L 2 Star Inverter Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator (HRB-3404BMS-E, Moon Silver, Bottom Freezer)
- AmazonBasics 564 L Side-by-Side Door Refrigerator (Silver Steel Finish)
- Samsung 324L 3 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (RT34T4513S8/HL, Elegant Inox, Convertible)
- Samsung 345L 3 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (RT37T4513S8/HL, Elegant Inox, Convertible)
When you think about refrigerators, the traditional refrigerators with the freezer on top is the first thing that will come to your mind. These refrigerators have a bigger fresh food compartment and smaller storage space for frozen food. These have quite basic features and are more energy-efficient.
Benefits of Top-Freezer
- Energy-efficient: Though the energy usage varies as per the model and design of the refrigerator, top-freezer refrigerators top the list of most energy-efficient refrigerators. In these models, the placement of the freezer on the top of the refrigerator keeps it farther from the compressor, allowing it to keep the heat out. This helps in keeping the unit cooler with less effort and lesser energy usage. The refrigerators with top-freezer consume 10-25% less energy than any other model and help you in saving not only your money but also the environment.
- Spacious: The refrigerators with top-mounted freezers have more usable space for fresh food, especially because they are wider. These have smaller freezer compartments compared to the refrigerator space. The fresh food compartment is used for storing your fruits, vegetables, water, juices, eggs, leftovers, etc. and thus it needs more space than the freezer, which is offered by the top-freezer refrigerators.
- Cheaper: The classic refrigerator models or the top-freezer refrigerators, are cheaper than the other models such as bottom-freezer refrigerators, side-by-side refrigerators, etc. These refrigerators have low operating costs due to their energy efficiency as well as low purchase costs. So they are cheaper and add to your savings in multiple ways.
Disadvantages of Top-Freezer
- Limited designs: The top-freezer refrigerators are pretty basic models and don’t have many extra features or chic designs. So, if you want a stylish and designer refrigerator with automatic ice makers and/or in-door water dispensers, top-freezer models are not an ideal refrigerator choice for you.
Most of the modern refrigerators come with a freezer on the bottom side. These refrigerators are larger with more freezer space and a smaller fresh food storage compartment. These types of refrigerators have more cutting-edge technology and are also more expensive.
Benefits of Bottom-Freezer
- Refrigerator position: The biggest advantage of a bottom freezer refrigerator is that they make it easier for you to reach your food without any extra pressure or bending. Since the freezer section at the bottom, the more used section i.e., the fresh food compartment is located at your eye level.
- Spacious freezer section: Compared to the top freezer refrigerators, these models have bigger and more spacious freezer compartments. In the bottom freezer refrigerators, there are organizing shelves or pull-out baskets in the freezer to help you keep everything in its place. These refrigerator models also come with pull-drawer-styled doors for ease of use.
- Latest technology: The bottom freezer refrigerators come in varied colors and designs along with the latest technology. These also offer many extra features like back wall LED illumination, automatic icemaker, in-door water dispenser, extra doors, and smart technology. If you want your refrigerator to be more than the basic appliance you should go for the bottom freezer refrigerators.
Disadvantages of Bottom-Freezer
- More expensive: The latest technology and extra features offered by the bottom freezer refrigerators also make it expensive in comparison to the top freezer refrigerators. Every additional feature and update in technology adds to the cost of the refrigerator.
The refrigerator buying guide includes numerous factors such as space in your kitchen, number of members in the family, budget, etc. to help you in finding the best refrigerator for you. But one more important factor to be kept in mind is refrigerator configuration i.e., the location of the freezer. It is important to know about the pros and cons of the refrigerator models before you decide on buying one for yourself. Do go through the points mentioned above before deciding which refrigerator configuration is better for you, Top-Freezer or Bottom-Freezer.